Honored Contributor

Re: My Potted Garden for Summer

@AuntG wrote:

You all have such good taste. I bet your planters are beautiful. My budget was set low this year because I haven't gardened in years and I want to see if I enjoy it. Just used the basics (petunias,  zinnias, geranium, lantana, verbena, dahlias, and cannas).

I always planted all of these amongst my roses when I had the big rose garden. All these old plants from the past, these healthy beauties are hard to beat.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've gotten really simple with my pots.  I like the eloquence of a single plant, in a simple pot.  On my deck:  the avocado I started from a pit three years ago, a wild-seeded oak and hackberry combo, peppermint by the door for use in smoothies, a tropical hibiscus, a heliotrope, and a black and blue salvia.  Oh, and a mini rose.  And a three-color gerbera daisy pot.  Oh! and a perfect red geranium.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I did not do as much as I use to but it still looks good.  I have a straw wicker hanging basket and I planted The Wave in a deep Magenta, variegated sweet potato vine, Vince vine and lavender Impatiens.  Deep pink geraniums with little purple flowers in a long, horizontal pot, lavender Impatiens in a pot and a small hanging pot on the post with the variegated sweet potato vine.  The sweet potato vine is deep purple with med. green veining. Anyone else planting in pots?  Please share.  Cat Very HappyHeart

@Katcat1

Your flowers sound very pretty!  DH and I were just discussing what we're gonna do.  Neither of us is in great health so we are cutting down this year.  We always had quite a lot of planted flowers and then we bought a lot of hanging pots and did a lot of pots to set around the front porch and back patio.  We decided we are only going to plant a few around our light pole, buy a few hanging plants and then that's it!  We have simplify as it's getting too difficult to both plant and care for them.  Not that we don't love the flowers and how colorfyl they always look, but you have to do what you can manage! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Julie928  Love petunias!  They come in such great colors & styles these days. These new ones sound lovely, haven't seen this variety around here though. I'll be looking.

Honored Contributor

I would love to see pictures of your gardens every one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Yes I do---I have 20 pots of 3 lily bulbs that will give me at least 4 blooms each. I have 3 pots of cherry toms; 5 big containers of greens/ lettuce; one with herbs, one with mini roses and a partrige in a pear tree---heehee --also a couple pots of purple  verbena and the sweetest purple  petunia that looks like it was splashed with white paint.  on my front deck. Can I just tell you---what a frangrant, delightful place my back deck is when my lilies bloom???

Honored Contributor

When I was buying plants for my planters, a friend who gardens told me to get one of each for every pot:

A THRILLER - focal plant

A FILLER - smaller surrounding plant

A SPILLER - something that drapes over edge

Esteemed Contributor

I've been doing pots for about 5 years....so much easier......

I do geraniums, wave petunias and vinca...