Valued Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

What is the secret to growing big bushy petunias?  I see huge arrangements in pots on city streets, but cannot replicate that at home. 

I've been growing petunias in my crocks and whiskey barrel planters for 40+ years because they are my favorite annual. I only discovered last year that I could almost double their size by using my Miracle Grow more often and stronger strength. Before I would just use it MAYBE once a week IF I thought of it, but when I began using it regularly TWICE a week and stronger (medium blue color instead of light blue color, I don't measure, I just go by color in a plastic pitcher I mix it in) they really have almost doubled in size, cascading over the sides of my planters and touching the ground. You can hardly see my planters right now for the blooms. I plant just regular petunias, not wave. It just proves that even old gardeners can learn new things. HTH

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@country gal wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

What is the secret to growing big bushy petunias?  I see huge arrangements in pots on city streets, but cannot replicate that at home. 

I've been growing petunias in my crocks and whiskey barrel planters for 40+ years because they are my favorite annual. I only discovered last year that I could almost double their size by using my Miracle Grow more often and stronger strength. Before I would just use it MAYBE once a week IF I thought of it, but when I began using it regularly TWICE a week and stronger (medium blue color instead of light blue color, I don't measure, I just go by color in a plastic pitcher I mix it in) they really have almost doubled in size, cascading over the sides of my planters and touching the ground. You can hardly see my planters right now for the blooms. I plant just regular petunias, not wave. It just proves that even old gardeners can learn new things. HTH

When I grew petunias in containers (have unfortunately given up on gardening) I used to use the Miracle Grow diluted "recipe" for every watering.  And yes, mine eventually needed a haircut when they became leggy, but would come back thicker and better!  Here's a picture from a few years back (after their "haircut"):

CIMG0480.JPG

Denise