Esteemed Contributor

My Nor'easter gift on Christmas Day

Hello gardening friends.  We had a huge storm Christmas Day.  It was well forecasted so we postponed Christmas dinner to Boxing Day.  

We had freezing rain, snow and ice and very high winds almost non stop for over 24 hours.  Power went out Christmas Day.  A lot of my neighbors had dinner ruined with outages.  Turkeys were on BBQ's, veggies on wood stoves, etc.

We lost two 50' spruce trees at the entrance to the lower stone patio overlooking the lake.  When people asked me if I was upset I just said if we had paid someone to take them down, they couldn't have done a better job.  There is a whole new view to the lake opened up.  

No statuary broken.  I did lose a Japanese red maple but I have half a dozen so I can live with that.  I already know what I am going to move there lol.

I was on our local Provincial gardening site today and every gardener there had the same reaction as I did.  It was pretty funny actually.  People sympathizing and gardeners saying 'Oh no, don't worry about that, I already know what I'm going to do there'.

Still have high winds and deep cold until the New Year.  Winter came in with a bang!  Never a dull moment.  When it warms up, we will break out the chain saws.  LM

Apologies for the poor photos.  Bad time of day to take pictures.  LM

Image 2017-12-27 at 8.42 PM.jpgIMG_0314.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: My Nor'easter gift on Christmas Day

Oh, @Lilysmom, I want to cry for you.  How horrible.  I suppose the outcome was better than you expected.  Love your optimistic outlook.  It'll be a Christmas you won't soon forget.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You do have sucha positive outlook about it, especially knwoing that yes it is so expensive to have an old tree cut down.

It always looks so violent though to me, seeing a huge tree fallen.

But it's also so good it didn't dammage anything or anybody!

I'm sorry about the red maple What are you going to put there?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

You put it all in perspective. Looks like you'll have some clean up projects in the future.

Esteemed Contributor

Still - ouch!

Life in the garden, yes it is.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Good morning @Sweetbay magnolia@AuntG@on the bay@Kachina624.  I wanted to move an ivory silk (white lilac) tree to open up a view from my living room window.  With the spruce gone, this area will now get much more sun so it will be a good location for the lilac.

This is not the one I am going to move but it is an ivory silk.  LM

48221C87-18CF-4893-AC54-040CAC026FE2.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Nice!  That'll open up the view for the winter, too.  Attractive bark.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Good morning @Sweetbay magnolia@AuntG@on the bay@Kachina624.  I wanted to move an ivory silk (white lilac) tree to open up a view from my living room window.  With the spruce gone, this area will now get much more sun so it will be a good location for the lilac.

This is not the one I am going to move but it is an ivory silk.  LM

48221C87-18CF-4893-AC54-040CAC026FE2.jpeg

@Lilysmom-

That is so beautiful!

And your grass is gorgeous!

I tried to grow grass at our old townhouse every year-put lime, everything down-what a mess. I told my neighbor (who for some reason had a prefect lawn!) that next year we were going for the cement look lol!😂

I did have beautiful shrubs that I planted and a white crepe myrtle. When we moved, I wanted to take all my tree friends with me!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I’m chuckling here because gardeners always have contingency plans for plants that do not work out. 

Japanese lilac trees can get fungal disease too so be aware of that. You may need an Arborist called in to assess the tree if it gets it. There are chemicals that help nourish the tree if a fungal disease happens.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, I have three ivory Silks in my gardens.  They love it here.  

You our would love our local Provincial gardening FB group.  A lot of us had tree damage and most reactions were ... No problem, I have plan b for that☺️!  We are an optimistic bunch!  LM