Respected Contributor

My Mum Mystery ====Are finally blooming

[ Edited ]

I have a mystery, may-be someone can solve.  Four weeks ago, I purchased two pots of white mums.  The mums weren't in bloom, but were loaded with buds.

Well, they are still in bud with no signs of blooming.  Thinking they may need  transplanted, I put them in bigger pots last week.  They are placed in area of my porch that gets plenty of sun.  They look perfectly healthy, but what could be wrong?  I'm going to start watering with Miracle Grow, may-be they need help to develop more.

Honored Contributor

They were probably forced to bud by the nursery

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I have a mystery, may-be someone can solve.  Four weeks ago, I purchased two pots of white mums.  The mums weren't in bloom, but were loaded with buds.

Well, they are still in bud with no signs of blooming.  Thinking they may need  transplanted, I put them in bigger pots last week.  They are placed in area of my porch that gets plenty of sun.  They look perfectly healthy, but what could be wrong?  I'm going to start watering with Miracle Grow, may-be they need help to develop more.

"Caring for your mum depends on whether you want to keep it for a season or for more seasons to come: If you are planting your mum as an annual, plant in well-draining soil in a partly-sunny area of your garden. Choose a container or bed that offers plenty of space for the formed root ball. Water well, and continue to water every other day or so, or as much as needed to maintain blooms. If you’re planting mums as perennials, it’s best to start in spring in full sun to give roots a chance to get established. Plant the mums in well-draining soil, making sure to leave 6-12 inches between each plant and water frequently. Before winter, protect the mums by covering plants with several inches of mulch. Wait until the following spring to cut back stems, and fertilize well to encourage blooms. If the mums produce spring blooms, pinch them back before late summer to encourage fall flowering. "

Allegheny, sounds like you're doing all the right things.  Did you get your mums from a nursery?  If so, can you call them to ask them what's going on?  Or, just call a local nursery and ask them your questions!  Good luck!  I love mums!

Honored Contributor

Unless the buds are dying and falling off, there's still a chance they will bloom.  Mums love sunny days and cool nights.  We've had some that did not bloom until late October.

If they do bloom, do not be surprised if they are not white for long.  I've had white blooms turn purple after a few weeks.

Respected Contributor
Thanks all. I just picked them up for annual display from a local lawn & garden center. I am sure I could return them, but I discarded the receipt. They weren't expensive. They are so healthy looking I am just going to experiment to see if they ever bloom with some TLC and fertilizer. I might add some seasonal picks in them for fall display.
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:
Thanks all. I just picked them up for annual display from a local lawn & garden center. I am sure I could return them, but I discarded the receipt. They weren't expensive. They are so healthy looking I am just going to experiment to see if they ever bloom with some TLC and fertilizer. I might add some seasonal picks in them for fall display.

Allegheny, if you have a lot of buds, I would not fertilize them now.  I'd either ask my garden center about the chances of them blooming or just ride it out.  If the buds are healthy, there is a good chance they'll bloom. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's my understanding that day length has much to do with it.  The continued shortening of the sunlight may trigger it (some are different than others).

I agree @lulu2- if they are still healthy buds there is reason to believe they will open.  Something to look forward to! Fertilizing is not going to change anything at this point.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny, a few weeks ago I bought a bunch of mums for our porch.  At the time there were no white.  Today I was replacing some and there were tons of white.  I asked a SA about them.  He said white mums mature more slowly and are always the last to come in.  They are late bloomers.

There's still hope for yours.

Respected Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@Allegheny, a few weeks ago I bought a bunch of mums for our porch.  At the time there were no white.  Today I was replacing some and there were tons of white.  I asked a SA about them.  He said white mums mature more slowly and are always the last to come in.  They are late bloomers.

There's still hope for yours.

Thank you for thinking to ask the SA and coming back to post. We having some very nice weather here (sunny days and cool nites) and it looks like the mums' buds may be responding. They are still loaded with buds and will be beautiful if they bloom. I didn't know that about while mums. I was wondering when I purchased them why all the other colors were in bloom and there was only a few pots labeled white available. I've probably had them about five weeks now. I will post back if they bloom.
Honored Contributor

I have a large pot of white mums on my front porch that are blooming like crazy.  They do not get any sun but I am sure they were forced because I got them at Costco.  When they are done I will just compost them.