Honored Contributor

My hydrangeas are still in their budding/broccoli stages. The panicle one is green right now & in about a month will enlarge & turn white.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl@JustJazzmom, just browsing through the last several pages. I don't know if I ever told you this story but I gave up on Niko Blue hydrangeas.  Always lovely greenery but not flowers.  I did everything...fertilized, didn't fertilize, sun, filtered sun.  Finally, I threw the last one away.  I told my neighbor and she went into my plant junk pile and pulled it out.  It now sits in her garden, still no blooms. 

After five years, if something still isn't performing, out it goes.  The older I get, the less patience I have.

Nice to go over these photos and think of what is to come.  I did a major overhaul of my largest bank last year.  I moved plants from all over and finally have good spacing, a good mix of evergreen and color.  

It's great to be in the garden again.  Each spring brings a new set of challenges which I always look forward to.  LM

Honored Contributor

I feel the same way @Lilysmom — getting too old to baby things like spray for insects, diseases or wait for blooms! Though I did buy a rhododendron that was in bloom & took about 3 years in my yard before it finally bloomed!

I’ve a Hydrangea — white lace cap called ‘Wedding Gown’ that practically dies to the ground each winter here & comes back to bloom on the new wood. 

From White Flower Farm website:

https://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/63201-product.html

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl@JustJazzmom, just browsing through the last several pages. I don't know if I ever told you this story but I gave up on Niko Blue hydrangeas.  Always lovely greenery but not flowers.  I did everything...fertilized, didn't fertilize, sun, filtered sun.  Finally, I threw the last one away.  I told my neighbor and she went into my plant junk pile and pulled it out.  It now sits in her garden, still no blooms. 

After five years, if something still isn't performing, out it goes.  The older I get, the less patience I have.

Nice to go over these photos and think of what is to come.  I did a major overhaul of my largest bank last year.  I moved plants from all over and finally have good spacing, a good mix of evergreen and color.  

It's great to be in the garden again.  Each spring brings a new set of challenges which I always look forward to.  LM

@Lilysmom  @JustJazzmom  It is so strange, I remember you saying this about Nikko Blue last year.  I have two, wish one would die, lol, as it is not the blue that I like, though they are the two and a few others that survived when others died.  I will work on changing the color, slowly..

I have had one particular hydrangea for at least a decade, do not know the name any longer, probably two, and for some reason, the last two years it didn't bloom, so I told myself that this year is it's last chance, tons of flowers yet to turn color, lol, it must have heard me grumbling every time I watered it.

In a magazine, there was a story about a couple who grew nothing but hydrangeas, and in trying to change the color, added to much acid, so nearly lost all of them, says now he will let them be what they were meant to be.  It is tricky, and done slowly, takes years to achieve the color one wants, at least in areas where the soil is naturally alkaline, as it is here.

The hydrangea I posted today has a story also.  I know I have had it for over twenty years, but for the majority of that time, until last year, it was buried under a fig tree, still in a one gallon pot.  I didn't care for it after I bought it, and the only time I remembered it was when I was watering under the fig tree other plants, so I finally dug it up.  Now I think it is very nice and I appreciate it's different form.  It is one strong plant, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  My Nikko Blue.

DSCF1190.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF6873.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF7070.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF7097.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF7099.JPG

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

DSCF7070.JPG

Is this one Fuji Waterfall or Wedding Gown?