Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, gorgeous shrubs!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, gorgeous shrubs!  LM

@Lilysmom  Thank you.  Smiley Happy

Remember all of the gorgeous hydrangeas I posted pictures of a few years ago?  Well, I apparently overfed them an acidic amendment, because almost all of them died, heartbreaking.  I did not replace all of them, just my very favorites, and I buy more each year, quite a few from Cottage Farms here, and I like Hydrangeas Plus. 

The reason I decided it was the amendment is because I had read an article about a man who grew nothing by hydrangeas all over his property.  He said he nearly killed them with the acidic amendment.  I had been using Cottage Farms which worked perfectly, then decided to add something else, obviously over did it, so am sticking with Cottage Farms for the time being, though havn't fed them this year and all are doing fine.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, what a heartbreaker!!!  Great attitude though.  Replace over time with what you love.  I take the same approach.  

When we lost our two 50’ spruce last Christmas, I had to redo the complete garden under it.  I took the opportunity to take a new approach.  Here is a photo of the work in progress.  LM

1876AFEA-46BE-49CC-94EB-073F6F4FC6FF.jpeg

B8A119E5-0CB2-46DE-A2DB-D733BAE6FDC1.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, what a heartbreaker!!!  Great attitude though.  Replace over time with what you love.  I take the same approach.  

When we lost our two 50’ spruce last Christmas, I had to redo the complete garden under it.  I took the opportunity to take a new approach.  Here is a photo of the work in progress.  LM

1876AFEA-46BE-49CC-94EB-073F6F4FC6FF.jpeg

B8A119E5-0CB2-46DE-A2DB-D733BAE6FDC1.jpeg

@Lilysmom  Beautiful!  Losing trees is even more heartbreaking.  We lost all but one of our at least 50' Pine trees over the years.  We have planted over fifty Redwoods, and some Cedars which have grown super tall.  When I planted them, I said to myself that I hope I live long enough to see them standing regally. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, what are your three favorite hydrangeas?  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: My Hydrangeas

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, what are your three favorite hydrangeas?  LM

@Lilysmom  My favorite is Candy Kisses, Oakleaf Gatsby Moon,  and Incrediball, and some I don't know the names of any longer, but I love all that I have, though the first three are what I would definitely have.

Difficult to pick favorites because they are all unique and so different in how they dry, but do love Mopheads the most.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  Those Hydrangeas are absolutely beautiful.  The color looks like lavender -- so pretty.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Blushing Bride is my all time favorite!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

your garden looks and sounds amazing. I live in NYC and I can't even imagine planting 50 of anything let alone trees. I plant basil - I probably used 50 seeds to get a few plants lol

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Blushing Bride is my all time favorite!

@terrier3  I bought that a few years ago, and already it is  huge and perfectly shaped so I am impressed with it.