Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: My Garden in Local Magazine!

On 6/3/2014 Rosehill said:

Simply Beautiful, Terrier. Thanks for sharing. It is amazing that your garden is as far along as it is, with the severe weather you have in Buffalo. I love everything you have done- it's not overdone- just perfect! Smile

The writer of the story took this last July...We have a long way to go yet this year!

My dogwood tree on the side of the house just started leafing out this week.

Honored Contributor

Gee I had totally forgotten my yard being in our local newspaper magazine. Years ago, when we moved to the city we now live, I noticed a contest in our local papers landscaping supplement. I took a picture of my backyard and sent it in. I soon got a phone call that our yard had "won"! They came out, with a professional photographer and took extensive photos of our beautiful yard and some of my dh and myself. These photos were then in the weekend edition of our paper. It certainly was exciting at the time! OP congrats to you!

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

On 6/3/ terrier3 said:
On 6/3/2014 Rosehill said:

Simply Beautiful, Terrier. Thanks for sharing. It is amazing that your garden is as far along as it is, with the severe weather you have in Buffalo. I love everything you have done- it's not overdone- just perfect! Smile

The writer of the story took this last July...We have a long way to go yet this year!

My dogwood tree on the side of the house just started leafing out this week.

That explains everything, terrier! Your garden is lovely- you should be very proud. Smile

Contributor

Love it, now I feel inspired to spruce up my front porch. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Respected Contributor

Beautiful. Wonderful design, good work!

Honored Contributor

UPDATE on the story -

The local AAA is conducting bus tours during the next 6 weeks in honor of Buffalo's National Garden Festival.

I saw a tour guide that mentioned my neighborhood and talked about the architect who designed my home. In the mail that day, I got a letter from the Master Gardener conducting the tours who asked permission to include a stop at my home!

They are going to back yard gardens in nearby mansions and want to walk by my home and discuss it on their way to the other homes.

The tour is almost already sold out and it won't be for another month.

We are getting a new cement deck on top of the granite pillars and support structure - the area with the moss. Luckily they won't be doing that major work until early October - the deck area that is crumbling in the picture above.

I'm really excited to share the neighborhood with other gardeners....I look forward to their advice.

Respected Contributor

It is so lovely and beautiful, terrier. I was looking through the posts and threads and saw one of yours from 5-3-14, where you showed your front of your home, in 2012. It is amazing how you put the deck and upright columns in. It might be interesting it you show a "before and after" picture of what you have done. Truly amazing.Smile

mm

"Cats are like potato chips, you can never have just one".
Honored Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Mama Mia said:

It is so lovely and beautiful, terrier. I was looking through the posts and threads and saw one of yours from 5-3-14, where you showed your front of your home, in 2012. It is amazing how you put the deck and upright columns in. It might be interesting it you show a "before and after" picture of what you have done. Truly amazing.Smile

mm

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. The balcony & columns are part of the original house, built in 1916 (or so - we have varying info). The deck (the top floor of the balcony covered with moss) needs to be replaced. There are two matching brownstones and they have had the floor replaced on their balconies, so we have a good idea of the work involved.
The patio the granite columns are resting on is also original - it's cobblestone granite too.

You can see from the picture that the granite is intact - that was built to last for a LONG time...the cement though needs work.

They will bolster up the roof (also metal), remove the cement layer and replace it. We need to use a restoration company that specializes in old homes. The exterior of the house is part of a historic district and has to remain the same.

Thanks for your kind comments!

Esteemed Contributor

terrier ~

Is it possible to somehow post the pictures that were featured in the Buffalo magazine? I would love to see more. You should be very proud of your gardening efforts.

Has the interior of your home been renovated, or is it original to the era it was built? Not to be intrusive, but I would love to see pictures!

Job well done!

Honored Contributor

On 5/29/2014 terrier3 said:
On 5/29/2014 imaclotheshog said:

So beautiful! What variety of ivy is that, do you know? I love ivy. This home looks very "New Orleans" to me, very stylized like so many of the lovely homes there are. Gorgeous!

Last year we had some hydrangeas put out, blue just like yours. Yours look very healthy. I am new to hydrangeas and they did not do very well last year. Hopefully this year they will do better, I fertilized them and they seem to be blooming and looking healthy. Last year several of them seemed to get some type of blight, the leaves turned brown and they looked like they either had a fungus or an insect infestation. They are in a fenced area in the back, but I have been surprised that the bunnies leave them alone. The deer don't get back there, they'd have to jump the fence and I guess it's not worth the trouble for them. I guess if my hydrangea blooms start disappearing, we either have very tall bunnies, or the deer have figured out a way to get in the back yard.

The ivy on the balcony was just plain old English ivy. I overwinter the pots indoors. The hanging geraniums are the variety called "ivy geraniums." I first saw them at the French Pavilion at Epcot. They do much better for me than the standard variety. I also keep them from year to year...they don't always make it...but when they do, it saves $$$.

The architect who designed my home made 3 brownstones in a row that are identical. He wanted to get their New Orleans look in a northern city. The homes are from around 1912.

I've often been able to find ivy geraniums at K-Mart of all places. They're hard to find.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment