Respected Contributor

My Flowers - Is This Clematis ?

I have planted so many of these and I love them as they vine/flower and NOTHING kills them - they can withstand no water, sun and freezing cold...they grow up/over everything, which I love.. I cannot remember their name........... I think they are Clematis... (it's not Passion Flower I don't think)........

MY FLOWERS 1jjl.jpg

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Flowers - Is This Clematis ?

Yes, I would say so.   They are invasive - over time they will send roots up and around the base of the plant.  Vines will hook on to anything in sight - downspouts - gutters, etc., and (yes) tough plant and tough to kill.  Keep it in check.

Honored Contributor

It could be a .mandavilla plant too. They can get invasive and huge if you live in a warm climate.  They are really beautiful.

Respected Contributor

Yes I believe it is and the good thing about them is that you can trim that back and put the runners where you want them and they will grow in that direction. They can take over if not kept in control but they are beautiful.

Respected Contributor

Thank you for your help!! What my goal is, besides the yard, is to have it grow over my roof..............I have no insulation and omg, it gets so hot inside.....so, I'm making my own insulation with this plant.....I could not afford a new roof and there is no attic.... it's growing now UP UP and away....so hopefully no 90+ degrees inside during our real summer...... It really gets thick and makes shade for me outside so I'm hoping for a cooler inside too.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

I had the nursury drop off a couple  large different types last summer...they had different flowers/leaves..but we had that horrible heat wave again in the 100's and the large one died...it was big...or getting there....was a different breed than this one....I think I lost 3 plants then in that heat. This one is tried and true, lol....but I've had both Passion and Clematis.. and get them mixed up a bit at times.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

No, I have Clematis, and it doesn't look like this bloom. Clematis dies back in the winter. I don't know what this is. Google Clematis bloom and you will see the bloom is not like yours. Whatever you have is very pretty.

Honored Contributor

It’s not clematis, looks more tropical (to me in our neck of the woods). I’d have to say mandevillea or bougainvillea vines.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@cbrite  Not Clematis.

Valued Contributor

May be a different variety,  but I have never seen blooms or greenery like that on a clematis.