Trusted Contributor

This morning I was out back with the dogs talking a walk around.  Feed the fish, fill the feeders & birdbaths, a normal morning.  Then I noticed that five ceramic mushrooms (the kind with a long, solid stem) were missing from my fairy garden.  I thought this was very odd as you have to really stick them in the ground at least a couple of inches.  I found a sixth one (of mine) between my neighbor's fence and mine.  I looked around, even under the leaves that had fallen and can't find them.  I'm thinking this might have been an animal but have no idea what kind of animal could pull these out of the ground.  I'm kind of sick over this since these were so expensive.  I've also had marbles disappear.  I'll put an entire bag of blue marbles under a bridge I have to give the look of water and the next morning every marble is gone.  I find them here and there but these are more substantial than a marble.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance! 

Respected Contributor

Maybe a raccoon?

Trusted Contributor

Squirrels, raccoons even a weasel or ferret all like to have a stash and will carry things away.  In the house we had to keep things picked up or the ferret or raccoon would haul them away.  Thank goodness we did not have both at the same time.  My son lost 12 roles of toilet paper in a few days.  His ferret had hidden them in the blanket he kept on the end of his couch.  Critters love car keys and all that is attached to them.  When we think we know something there will be an animal wanting to prove us wrong.

Regular Contributor

I'm so sorry that your Fairy Garden has been vandalized by whatever or whomever. I have a little Fairy Garden with the blue marbles to create a wate effect. So, I can appreciate hw badly you feel. I recently saw a news story about birds taking things from a garden and leaving little "gifts" in return. It may have been crows. That,s as much as I recall. I don't think a bird could easily remove an object that was snaked into the ground. Squirrels are so clever at getting what attracts them. If you have the time, perhaps you could run an experiment as to what types of objects are desirable by the thief? I wish you success in finding the culprit and making your Garden safe for the Fairies once more.

Trusted Contributor

@Gram W & @itsmagic ~ It could very well be a raccoon ~ we have lots of them.  We also have opossums ~ my husband just came in from out back and said he saw a baby one in the yard.  We have tons of shrews in the yard, too!  I saw the ground moving a little under one of the feeders then a shrew popped his little head out, looked at me and popped back in!  I don't know if they would be strong enough to move something like that, though...

Trusted Contributor

@Aviatrix ~ Thank you for the suggestions.  I work so hard on the fairy garden and as I'm sure you already know those things aren't cheap!  I usually have everything packed up by this time of year but I decided to do an autumn-themed garden.  I even bought pansies that are called "trick-or-treat!"  They are orange with black centers and also deep purple, almost black.  A few of those were dug up, too!  I'll replace the mushrooms but will keep them packed away until Spring.  :-)

Honored Contributor

That's shame about your ceramic mushrooms; hope you find them or at least learn what happened.  I have three of them - different sizes - and they too are stuck firmly in the ground.  Thanks for the warning, maybe I'll bring them inside tomorrow.

Regular Contributor

The Zulily shopping site has fairy items from time to time. I was very pleased with what I bought there and saved a lot. I'm going to check on my Fairy Garden tomorrow. I'll try to figure out anything that might be helpful to you in keeping your garden intact. I'll ask my 10-year old twin Granddaughters for advice. They seem to be experts on fairies and such. Best of luck to  you with your Garden. I'm sure your Neighborhood Fairies appreciate your artistry and work. 

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 Look what I found!  Fairy House doors!Smiley Happy

Signals Catalog

SS $49.95

Fairy Door-Shaped Pewter Charm Bracelet