Esteemed Contributor

We had a reasonably dry week, and then we had a warm and windy Friday and a downright hot Saturday (upper 70's). That was good enough to rototill on Friday and plant on Saturday! We planted broccoli, snow peas, onion sets and kale. Used my newly purchased Root Blast, and we'll see how it goes.Yea Spring!

Esteemed Contributor

Good for you, @PA Mom-mom!

I was just thinking that this is a very late spring season in eastern PA (where I live) for cool weather crops.

I used to have an extensive garden and I really miss the cool weather things like sugar snap peas (Oh! how I prayed over those peas, and they always turned out!) & and all the varieties of lettuces I used to plant for me and the bunny!

Yes, the seeds love warm soil, which we had yesterday, and seedlings love cool, moist weather.

I never did broccoli or kale. Did you plant them from seed or seedlings?

Esteemed Contributor

@Harpa Thanks for your charming comments! I planted broccoli seedlings and kale seeds. I gave up on the lettuces and spinach a few years back because they just can't tolerate the heat, and you never can tell when you will be able to plant.

Frequent Contributor
Awesome! I was raised by my grandmother in the burbs in Central Alabama. She had a garden as large as some folks back yards! I have missed that! Peach trees, plums, tomato's, yellow squash, eggplant, turnips, cabbage, lettuce, okra etc ... Azalea bushes, zinnias, tulips, white daisies and hibiscus everywhere.

I live in an apt, so I can't even consider all that. But I did try to spruce up the balcony this year with some hibiscus.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Early Garden Is In!

[ Edited ]

@Dcole3 I'd bet you could do a grape or cherry tomato on that patio if you get at least 6 hours of sun. Eight hours is preferred, but I think 6 or 7 might do.

Frequent Contributor
You're right. However, with having had multiple diverticulitis attacks, it'd hardly be worth it. Smiley Sad

I am going to try the Meyers lemon tree though.
Esteemed Contributor

@Dcole3 OH..dear! The Myer lemon sounds great! Would you be able to eat kale? You can do a hybrid called Prizm in a pot. I grew it in rows last year and it's wonderful. Great for soups and pastas.

Frequent Contributor
Hadn't thought about kale, although it's not something I eat much of tbh. But it breaks my heart the most when I see the strawberry plants!