Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo  Here is one that I bought last year or the year before, can't remember, just know that I am NOT buying any this year, lol..DSCF6655.JPG

@mousiegirl  I love that one.  It works very well with the Yarrow close by too.  I have some lavender yarrow in a Daylily bed too.  I would love to see your gardens now that blooms are coming along.  We are enjoying our daylilies but they still aren't in full bloom.  Wild Horses, Happy Returns, Stella D'Oro and some red, orange and pink ones scattered around in bloom.  I just enjoy them so much.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo  Here is one that I bought last year or the year before, can't remember, just know that I am NOT buying any this year, lol..DSCF6655.JPG

@mousiegirl  I love that one.  It works very well with the Yarrow close by too.  I have some lavender yarrow in a Daylily bed too.  I would love to see your gardens now that blooms are coming along.  We are enjoying our daylilies but they still aren't in full bloom.  Wild Horses, Happy Returns, Stella D'Oro and some red, orange and pink ones scattered around in bloom.  I just enjoy them so much.

@lucymo  Every day is a surprise during Daylily bloom time.  First thing in the morning, I go out to see what is blooming. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Your lilies are gorgeous. I am so jealous. When we lived in Pa I had beautiful lilies but since we've moved to Fl. I haven't been able to grow them. I don't know it it's the sandy soil, the extreme sun, the drought all winter followed by torrential rain all summer, or a combination of all that but they are just haven't grown well for me here. I've even tried growing them in a large pot filled with miracle grow soil and they did not grow well. I've moved them from shade to sun and back again.

Honored Contributor

I have one daylily right now with one bloom! Yesterday I saw a flash of golden yellow among the leafy jungle of daylilies. It was ‘Happy Returns’ which has as one of it’s parents ‘Stella D’Oro’.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Daylilies

[ Edited ]

My daylilies have bloomed one round and I have

new stalks with buds on all the plants.  I am glad I tried them.  They are so delicate and pretty!Daylilies.jpg

IMG_20180518_0922278_rewind.jpg

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl Thank you for a smile this Sunday.  Have a good week ahead.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Your lilies are gorgeous. I am so jealous. When we lived in Pa I had beautiful lilies but since we've moved to Fl. I haven't been able to grow them. I don't know it it's the sandy soil, the extreme sun, the drought all winter followed by torrential rain all summer, or a combination of all that but they are just haven't grown well for me here. I've even tried growing them in a large pot filled with miracle grow soil and they did not grow well. I've moved them from shade to sun and back again.

@151949  I googled, and Daylilies should grow well in Florida unless they sit in soggy soil.  They don't need too much water, but around bloom time, I water a little more.  they love the heat.  In the shade, they may bloom, but not as much as in the sun.  If they get too crowded, then blooms will decline.

How To Grow Great Daylilies

Honored Contributor

For some things the Fl sun can be too much. For instance things that love being in the sun all winter long down here like geraniums die in the summer no matter how much water they get.They just can't take the intensity of the sun here. We tried leaving them in the shade on the east side of the house where they only get morning sun, but they still didn't make it. I've tried & tried daylillies, it was wasted money.

Honored Contributor

More pics of newer daylilies.DSCF6746.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF6758.JPGUnfurling