Honored Contributor

Little Grapette - a freebie.DSCF1896.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: My Daylilies

[ Edited ]

@RedHeadedWench  Did you ever find the name of the grower for this Daylily? Smiley Happy  

Pink.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mean to intrude on this wonderful Daylily thread, but would like to know if I can plant my recently received Daylily bulbs in containers.

We had to have emergency sewer work done in and through our front yard, so I cannot plant them there now as planned.

Just need to know if containers are OK and, if so, how tall should the containers be.

Thanks so much!

Esteemed Contributor

I realize this is an old thread but daylilies are here!  He shows the daylilies on TV in containers.  I just planted some and they are about 4-8 inches high.

I put mine in double containers (10") to protect them from the hot sun on our 90 degree days, (read this on the net).  This is my first year trying them.  

I would think you would need to feed them often.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I realize this is an old thread but daylilies are here!  He shows the daylilies on TV in containers.  I just planted some and they are about 4-8 inches high.

I put mine in double containers (10") to protect them from the hot sun on our 90 degree days, (read this on the net).  This is my first year trying them.  

@Zhills

Expressing my ignorance here: by "double containers," are you referring to a special containers which have an inner lining?  I've planted in smaller containers, but with the day lilies will need larger containers and don't know about "double" containers.  Would appreciate further information.  Thanks so much.

Esteemed Contributor

A double container is just a pot inside the same sized pot.  

20161003A.jpg

Mine are 10" pots.  That is the size Phillip used on the show.  The space protects the plants from the hot sun.  

Here in Florida, a pot sitting in direct sun when it is 90 degrees will damage the roots of plants.

Esteemed Contributor

The daylilies on this thread are breathtaking!  Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

@Zhills  I will be posting pictures of newer Daylilies later on when they bloom. Smiley Happy  I have never fed mine, but may do so soon.  I buy them online from many different companies, including ebay.  The rule is that more sun, more flowers, but they will still bloom in filtered sun, just not so many.

Since yours are so small, you are right not to place them in hot sun, but once they are a good size with a good root system, sun is where they belong.  I have read that before they bloom and while blooming, lots of water is required, but established clumps may be fine without much.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

I don't mean to intrude on this wonderful Daylily thread, but would like to know if I can plant my recently received Daylily bulbs in containers.

We had to have emergency sewer work done in and through our front yard, so I cannot plant them there now as planned.

Just need to know if containers are OK and, if so, how tall should the containers be.

Thanks so much!

@sfnative  Most of my daylilies are in nursery pots of varying sizes which I buy on amazon, and clay pots, and will remain there until I can plant them, but some will remain in pots.  Make sure the pot fits the plant so the roots have room to grow.  They will need more water than if they were in the ground.  

Honored Contributor

@lucymo  Here is one that I bought last year or the year before, can't remember, just know that I am NOT buying any this year, lol..DSCF6655.JPG