Honored Contributor

Re: My Daylilies

[ Edited ]

"Troubled Sleep' I bought this year from Gilbert Wild and 2 years ago added 'Blueberry Candy'. I'm waiting for  'Tiger Kitten' to open and 'Raspberry Suede'. I have a unique one, they sent me as a freebie called 'Franz Hals' which is very unusual looking. I do not see any buds on it yet, but the season is just beginning. I have it sited in front of the 'Lord Baltimore' perennial hibisicus.

Its sister 'Lady Baltimore' is on the opposite corner of my garden surrounded by Brunnera 'Jack Frost' and it currently has one stem with I believe one flower bud soon to get larger. I have been waiting over a year for this to bloom so maybe this is the year.

I first started with minatures, like 'Stella D'Oro' and anything with 'Little' in its name or a 3" blossom length. Then graduated to larger bloomed daylilies with interesting throats or ruffles or edges. I found over time that the tetraploids are more showy in that garden than say the diploid ones like 'Stella D'Oro'.

Over the years that area has been a work in progress as I try to find plants that work in all areas-- its a Northern exposure area next to a garden shed that goes from sunny to shady as it approaches the shed. So I have shade loving plants like Lady's Mantle, and Lady fern and a summer bleeding heart that came up and I moved it. I also have an astilbe called 'Red Sentinel' in the middle of this area plus 2 columbines called 'Blue Barlow'. Those reseeded all over and I am still removing seedlings from inside some of the daylily clumps. This year I got on top of them and removed the flower heads of the two I have before they threw their seeds around. The stems fall over near the soil and then drop their seeds. They must be very tiny seeds as I cannot see them.

I had heuchera at one time there along the area closest to the garden shed but with our clay soils, they ended up not liking it too much so out they went.

I have a wild lady fern from my MIL's house as a 'souvenir' and this year found a commercially grown one to match off of the wild one on the opposite side of the garden plot.

The lady fern is quite happy as is the new one.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JazzMom, you have a lot of varieties.  As the year goes on, I will be posting pictures of the plants I have, lots of different Salvias and drought hardy plants, all perennials, no annuals for me.

Yes, the bee in the flower is the black bugger that follows me, or one of it's relatives.  I hope it hasn't scared off the honey bees.  I did see them earlier this year, but not much lately, also the dreaded wasps, hate those as they do attack.

I love the little ones also.  Only one bloomed, but I can't find a picture.  I have one called Going Bananas, I think, but it has not bloomed yet, that I know of. Quite a few havn't bloomed, and I doubt that they will, all little ones.  I ordered from Gilbert and many other companies that year, just went berserk.  The spider Daylilies are impressing me the most with their size.  The one that is yellow and purple that I posted is massive.  I went out one morning, and there it was, causing me to yelp with delight.  It doesn't give many blooms yet, but that could be because it is in filtered sun, ran out of room to stash pots with them that Fall, and hopefully will begin getting some into the ground this Fall.

I may have mentioned that the entire garden is being refurbished, three existing beds, and four yet to be created, but I have the plants for them already, so just a matter of amending this darned clay soil enough for the plants to thrive, and as you know, it is a real challenge.  It is going very slowly, as I have to wait on the very difficult tasks for Sundays to roll around as that is the only day DH is here to help, but I do a lot.  Last year, after a remodeling job, the contractors left a four foot high dirt berm, which I dismantled and spread around.  There were a million clay dirt rocks, some broke down, and the rest were hauled off by wheelbarrow by DH after I shoveled them into the barrow, to an area that is wild and not used.  They will eventually break down, but I didn't want them in the beds.

My biggest challenge is getting the over fifty Hydrangeas planted.  We managed to plant three already, and I know where the majority will go, but there is so much hot sun here, and the area that I planned on putting some is shady, but now getting filtered sun, so the test will be next Spring to see if they will bloom in this area.  They are in large pots now, which I moved to this area after they were already blooming.  It is difficult to situate them where they will only have filtered or half day sun. Again, bought too many, but I couldn't resist, so many beauties to be had. I see a few that I don't like, so am thinking that I bought one at the grocery store and divided it, and probably bought it at a time when it was a certain color, but so far, I don't like what I am seeing, but will wait to see what they become in the end.

I like to decorate with the dried blooms, so will toss what I picked last year, and replace with the new ones, much bigger this year.

I love to see what others have planted in their landscapes.

Honored Contributor

DSCF8177.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF8215.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF8207.JPG

Honored Contributor

DSCF8181.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Hi mousiegirl.    I never had any problems with not flowering after splitting them.  I have three huge beds of them with some other kinds & some Asian lilies mixed in.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What is this one called? It is so beautiful.

Sorry - the quote didn't post - I am referring to the one in #8. They are all so gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

'Eenie Fanfare'

Hemerocallis 'Eenie Fanfare'.JPG

'Little Cranberry Cove'

Hemerocallis 'Little Cranberry Cove'.JPG

'Raspberry Suede' , a tetraploid

Hemerocallis 'Raspberry Suede'.JPG

'Little Pumpkin Face'

Hemerocallis 'Little Pumpkin Face'.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Honored Contributor