Honored Contributor

@SydneyH, the one I ordered from QVC was the Sun Joe brand.  I'd basically call it a small roto-tiller.  It works up the soil for you.

Honored Contributor

My tomato plants are growing quickly and I will probably have tomatoes in mid July.  We have been fortunate to have rain the last two days and may have it again but not so much that we are flooding like they are in Alabama.

Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

This year I wanted to keep it simple, so I'm repurposing a portable wrought iron fire pit as a big pot for my little veggie/herb garden.  I thought about putting it on the deck, but there is more sun out in the yard.  The bunny rabbits have to keep hopping on by because it's not in their reach. Lots of little green tomatoes now, so should be able to eat soon! 😊  

Honored Contributor

Re: My DECK garden

[ Edited ]

I have peppers, tomatoes, zuchinni, and herbs planted in my garden.  I have patio tomatoes and grape tomatoes in pots at home on the deck and on my deck at  our camper.

in addition, I have planters of flowers on both decks and planted in the flower garden at home.

watering is always a concern for me,  I spend Thursday night to Monday night at camp and Tuesday through Thursday afternoon at home in the summertime.

our summers are usually very hot and everything needs watered daily,  my daughter waters the plants at our home everyday when we are not home, but I have been bringing the planters from camp home and back again so they don't die.   I need to find a better solution.  I have about 9 planters that make the trip weekly.

Pics are from my camper deck

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

Honored Contributor

I plan on doing this next year.    I've been looking for large planters.  I found a Keter Easy Growing elevated planter at Sam's club.    It looks like a great buy.  It's marked down to $40 at my Sam's.    I've been checking out estate sales and yard sales, antique shops for unique items to use for deck planters.

I found an industrial colander priced at $50.   I didn't buy it but I may go back to get it.   It looks exactly like my old aluminum colander except the industrial one is about 2 feet across.   Already has holes for drainage.  I have a few galvanized pieces, it would blend in well.

I only want to grow salad items.   Leaf lettuce, cherry tomatoes, spring onions and such.

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1

Your deck garden sounds lovely! I have plants on my patio, but they are all pretty scrunched together to get max light. I have a yellow cherry tomato, a red grape tomato and herbs mixed with annuals. This is the first year I put annuals with my herbs, and I think I have to make sure the annualy don't squeeze out the herbs. I like having herbs on my patio so I don't have to slog into my garden in the winter. My parsley plant has visitors (Eastern Swallowtail caterpillars) , so we tried to protect them from the birds with netting. I know they like to leave the host plant to form a crysalis, but the birds get them every time. We're hoping they can feel ok under our "tent."20170716_142142.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @PA Mom-mom, and all gardeners on this thread.  I have parsley and cilantro started from seed in a sheltered location on my porch, just for the swallowtails.  No sign of crawlers, yet, but I hope they find me.

I have a toad living in a geranium.  I watered today and I was delighted by his "blink".  I think he liked the shower.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia

Keep looking for those butterfly eggs! We had 5 growing earlier this year, and the birds got them all. When our current crop got started, we covered them with netting.

Esteemed Contributor

I will, @PA Mom-mom.  Surely they will appear.

Happy Gardening!

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1I have tried growing tomatoes but we have too many trees. We have some nice people we buy our veggies from but having them at home is betterWoman Very Happy