Respected Contributor

Ok so I ordered the Robertas Totem Pole Plant back on 4/15/21 ( I checked my order page) I followed the directions on planting it and after about 20 days in water with tiny roots finally appearing I planted it in potting soil.  It was another month or so before it finally had a leaf bud break through the wood stalk and after about 8 months it only had 3 leaves one of which was very small and never grew any bigger. 2 leaves only grew a little and never really opened. So I emailed Robertas and sent a picture of the plant and was told to wait a while longer (we are now into early 2022) but no offer to replace it of course plus it was past the 90 day return policy. 

So I just kept watering it, the leaves never really grew and had brown tips. The smallest leaf completely died. About 2 weeks ago as I was watering my other plants I just decided to remove the plant from the pot, scrape the bottom again ( it comes with a sealant on the bottom of the pole that you have to scrape off before you put it in water to root) and put it back in water again. I also broke off one of the leaves and put it in water as well. GUESS WHAT ?? That darn plant has started rooting !! Yes I'm seeing little roots starting to bud from the pole ! AND ! The 2 leaves that were still on the pole are growing ! Again I ordered this plant from QVC on 4/15/21 !  It was shipped to me on 5/26/21.  Unbelievable but true so for anyone who has had a difficult time with the Totem pole plant there's hope ! 

Contributor

Re: My Crazy Totem Pole Plant !

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes Have you seen these for sale this year? If so, can you please advise. Thank you. P.S. Mine is doing so good!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Roberta's plants are the worst have not ordered their products in years.

The local grocery stores have better plants and cheaper prices. Price at nursery's are cheaper also.

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes    You deserve a gold star for your patience in nurturing this plant.  I would have pitched it long ago.  I hope it now flourishes for you. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@jennemlwrote: Have you seen these for sale this year? If so, can you please advise. Thank you. P.S. Mine is doing so good!!!!

No I have not looked around locally  but I saw them on QVC but I wouldn't dare order one based on the history of this plant and there are not so good reviews on QVC and some good reviews. I'm a big plant lover and really loved the Totem Pole plant so I was anxious to get this one when I bought it in 2021. I'm holding out hope that it keeps rooting. So glad you've had great success with yours !

Contributor

@Goodie2shoes Hope yours keeps growing.  The totem pole has been the only item I have had luck with . Was just going to chance my luck one more time on another totem pole if they had it...again, happy growing to you!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@jenneml 

Last time I was in Lowes, they had various sizes of very healthy looking totem pole plants.   

Contributor

@RedTop   Thank you for that information. Much appreciated and I will check it out.

Trusted Contributor

Unless the goal is to watch the plant grow from the very start, I would purchase from Home Depot.  They're about $25 and come in a decorative pot and are mature.  No having to wait years for the plant to grow a leaf.