Respected Contributor

Re: My Coleus Plants

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz  Thank you!!  I know those plants are buggy, that's for sure..  Even so, I never sprayed them with any kind of plant bug killer.  Always forgot to buy that even though I went to the Garden Center at Lowes Home Improvement at least once a week over the spring and summer....

Respected Contributor

Re: My Coleus Plants

[ Edited ]

The sunpatiens look kind of droopy - it was rainy this am when I took the pics.   And the coleus, both of them blew over several times during Hurricane Florence, they were much fuller..   A lot of pieces broke off...  I'm in NC...

Respected Contributor

@KatieB your Coleus plants are beautiful...I just put mine in the garage as we wait out the winds from Michael...I am going to attempt to keep them alive during the winter and see what happens. I had to spray weekly with a soap and water solution to keep the bugs from destroying this year!

Respected Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@KatieB your Coleus plants are beautiful...I just put mine in the garage as we wait out the winds from Michael...I am going to attempt to keep them alive during the winter and see what happens. I had to spray weekly with a soap and water solution to keep the bugs from destroying this year!

@GAQShopr53  Please tell me your 'recipe' for the soap & water solution you use...  Wish I had a garage like you do...  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes -- great season for this plant. We have several on the patio and I want to keep them all, but can't.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@GAQShopr53  Please tell me your 'recipe' for the soap & water solution you use...  Wish I had a garage like you do...  

@KatieB Got the mixture from my Mom who uses it on her hibiscus plants.  I just mix a quart of water and 2 drops of dawn (blue) liquid soap and I spray the leaves once a week. Usually, the next day I can see the bugs that have died from the application. It takes time and I think the soap works because the bugs over time ingest it. Please be careful not to put too much soap in the liquid as it will burn the leaves if your plants are in direct sunlight...Since the weather is cooling I don't have to apply as often!

Respected Contributor

@GAQShopr53  Thank you so much for the 'recipe'.  My plants are not in sunlight.  They don't like sunlight too much.  In the summer, they would get a bit of sunlight for a couple hours in the morning when it's not too hot here.  I have to water them twice a day since the summer when we're not having rain..