Honored Contributor

"Garden" is an exaggeration.

Last year I purchased a large planting container.    I tried a couple of tomatoes and a lettuce and a spinach.    Didn't get much but it's not much work so nothing lost.

This year when preparing the bed, I realized why I didn't have a lot of success last year.   I used topsoil.     This year Miracle Gro has an organic container soil, so I purchased a bag and amended my soil.   It had settle quite a bit so I used the enter bag.    The big bag.  I already like the way it's holding moisture.  My container has drainage.

In my container I planted 3 different tomato plants.    Early Girl, Centennial and Biltmore.   I also have a grape tomato plant, it's going in large separate planter.

I  worked in my yard to make a small bed.   I only planted one yellow squash and one burpless cucumber.   I took a 4 sided tomato cage, opened it to use it like a trellis.   Those 2 vines can get unruly quickly.  Wish me luck.

Respected Contributor

You are ahead of the game. I wanted to start planting my garden last week and the weather turned cold so I decided to wait. I did get my roses in the ground and amended the soil on my hibiscus plants. Hopefully, this week I can finally plant and by the way the miracle gro is really good.

Last year, I purchased potting soil but added other fertilizers and nutrients and it did not go so well. This year I am sticking with already mixed soil and usually the miracle gro moisture works well for me. 

Honored Contributor

@software  I don't know where you live, but where I live we don't have the long hot summers we did years ago and that affects everything. I plant in raised beds and do ok with greens, herbs, squashes, but tomatoes and peppers like it hot, my yield has not been good for the past 3 years. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

How big is your container @software ? Those tomato plants if in a 1’ diameter pot will get quite crowded by summer’s end. You may need to plant 1 tomato plant per pot.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

this year all I want is a huge heirloom tomato plant if I can find it!

& herbs

I will grow in containers with Miracle Gro organic potting soil

Honored Contributor

My container is large & deep.

It's deeper than say, a flower box.

And my grape tomato is in a large bucket, 5 gallon maybe?

This is a picture from the website, it's about 15" deep

Yes the depth may have been a factor, the varieties I've chosen are labeled good for containers.   It's an experiment, I'm not an experienced gardener.    My late DH had the green thumb.

planter.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@software , good luck!  Come back and tell us how it worked.  LM

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@software  My husband plants his cucumbers in a large planter and has a trellis for them to climb up, it works great every year he has alot of wonderful cucumbers.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a tomato cage/trellis.   It's 4 sided.    I opened it up to make it somewhat straight.   I'm going to try to train my cukes & squash on it.   I hope I have the same luck as your DH.

@hayseed00 wrote:

@software  My husband plants his cucumbers in a large planter and has a trellis for them to climb up, it works great every year he has alot of wonderful cucumbers.

Honored Contributor

I'm beginning to see flowers on my big tomato  plants.

I have a few tiny green tomatoes on the grape tomato plant.

We've had perfect weather, of course it won't last.

We have 3-4 days of very warm, sunny weather, a bit warmer than usual, followed by 2 days of rain.