Esteemed Contributor

My experience is much the same.  An iffy proposition.  I bought two mums sold as perennials from a reputable nursery.  I have one left and it's nothing you would get excited about. I also may have pulled the other one by mistake thinking it was a weed.  I won't be trying them again.  LM 

Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

Maybe planting them, if you can find them, in the spring/summer may work.

That's the problem isn't it - I rarely, if ever, see them in garden stores in Spring & Summer.  I'd love to plant some them.  The ones I buy in the Fall for decoration, then plant, rarely make it through the Winter.

Valued Contributor

I guess I'm the exception here, but I have never had any mums die in the winter and we have some pretty frigid winters in NE Missouri..like last year. In fact, I just got through digging some off of one of my two huge plants in front of my porch to give to my daughter in a few weeks when we go to visit her. I got enough to fill 8 medium sized pots. The other mum in front of the porch is even bigger, but I will have to tackle it in the spring when it is just coming up. They are crowding the miniature roses on each side, or I would just let them spread. No one believes me when I say that they are just 2 plants, as they look like many more. I bought and planted them probably 12 years ago in the Fall and they are a beautiful burgandy color.