Super Contributor

if you google artillery mold spores (I don't know how to post) the mulch actually shoots these little brown spots, I guess it is from dampness.  Unfortunately, my problem is probably due to the pine trees that shade my property.  When we bought the house, i thought the tiny spots on the windows were from a sloppy paint  job by previous owner.  i need to use a razor blade to remove them prior to cleaning the windows.  I am hesitant to put new mulch down, although it looks nice and does cut weeding.

Honored Contributor

The pine resin might be creating the mold.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Groundciver plants can also be effective mulch.   

My post may have been petty but I thought for a host and a guest to be sharing how much they dislike mulch would be confusing to anybody learning to garden because mulch is so beneficial.  I've spread about 9 bags this spring. Tried the HD colored mulch; I like the natural better.

Thank you everyone. I've enjoyed all your posts. 

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Groundciver plants can also be effective mulch.   

My post may have been petty but I thought for a host and a guest to be sharing how much they dislike mulch would be confusing to anybody learning to garden because mulch is so beneficial.  I've spread about 9 bags this spring. Tried the HD colored mulch; I like the natural better.

Thank you everyone. I've enjoyed all your posts. 

I hate to weed so mulch is my savior in the garden. I dislike colored mulch because (1) it looks 'commercial instead of residential')  & (2) even though it says chemical free, I still worry about it. I like the natural wood mulch better. I use HD pine bark nuggets for most of my landscape and use cedar mulch in my rose garden to delineate it from the rest of the garden. I spread 7 3/4 bags of cedar mulch in that rose garden this past week.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I don't like the nuggets, and my neighbor is switching over from nuggets because they seem to harbor more pests than regular mulch.

I do use the dyed mulch, dark brown, only because it's the cheapest.  I used to use cypress, but then I found out it's bad for the environment.  But, Lowes puts the 2 cu ft bags on sale for $1/bag regularly thoroughout spring and summer so that's what I buy.  I hope the dye is not bad for the plants.