Respected Contributor

We are having dark brown mulch applied to several large garden beds on our property.  The crew completed about 75% of the job on Thursday, but due to rain had to wait until today to finish.

The mulch that was applied Thursday has lost its color after the rain.  It looks almost the color of natural mulch or mulch that has been down for over a year.  Has anyone ever seen or had this happen?  Even the men who are putting it down were amazed.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes....we got bags of black mulch from Home Depot and by Sept it will be gray instead of black

Trusted Contributor

I've just started using the bagged mulch from Home Depot these last few years.  I do notice that it loses it's fresh color very quickly. 

I had thought that the "better" mulch that I see professional landscapers use did seem to keep it's uniform dark color.....at least what I see applied seems to never change.  I was thinking of seeing how I could order a load of that mulch in the future, if it's practical for me.

But you have had the kind landscapers use, right?  I don't know why that would happen so quickly.  Even the bagged stuff lasts for a few months

Esteemed Contributor

That seems to have faded faster than what I've experienced.  We usually get a landscaper to bring in a truckload twice a year.  It usually retains its color for a few months, so that surprises me that it's faded this fast.

Did you address that with the crew?  

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan  

Yes, when they came this morning I mentioned it.   The landscaper arrived before I was up and advised his crew of the work to be done.  I spoke with his brother who is here, and he said they noticed it as soon as they pulled in.  

I wanted them to be sure to mention this to the supplier they procured the mulch from.

Since the color leached out so quickly I am thinking the mulch was recently dyed and had not been left to cure long enough before distribution.

I know there is a spray on dye that homeowners can purchase to refresh the color.  We may have to ask him to apply that when we get a spell of really dry weather.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, the landscaper should offer to reapply the mulch at no cost to you. There's nothing wrong with the faded mulch, but as a goodwill gesture, I think they should throw a layer of dark mulch over the faded new mulch for you.  Mulch is one of the lowest cost supplies/products a landscaper purchases for their business, so it shouldn't be a huge loss for them to do this for an otherwise satisfied customer.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny...I have never heard of a spray for the mulch, can you share the name of the product?  Thanks

Frequent Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

We are having dark brown mulch applied to several large garden beds on our property.  The crew completed about 75% of the job on Thursday, but due to rain had to wait until today to finish.

The mulch that was applied Thursday has lost its color after the rain.  It looks almost the color of natural mulch or mulch that has been down for over a year.  Has anyone ever seen or had this happen?  Even the men who are putting it down were amazed.

E

@Allegheny wrote:

Enviro Color is One!  Didn't mean to speak for Alleghany, sorry!

Honored Contributor

We pick up our mulch in a utility trailer at he garden nursery,  we just get the standard color, not black or red or even very dark brown.  

It fades really fast fast and the mulch needs replaced every year..  each spring, we are down to dirt.  I have had much that had slimy stuff that looked like jelly fish on it.  I was told that was part of the breaking down process,

Out township gives out free mulch to anyone who lives here.  They make it from the tree branches and other garden clippings that are taken there for disposal.  We never use that because I am afraid the it will have weed seeds in it.

personally, I like the look for dark colored mulch, but that dye is not good for the environment. All I care about is weed and moisture control.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I found some on Amazon, MulchWorx is one name.  @Halidon mentioned another brand in her post.

@Trix  I am kinda bummed about the fading, I hope the landscaper will step up and offer to do a light redress.  Last year we did natural, undyed and didn't care for the color so we looked forward to having the dark brown.