Honored Contributor

I've always used the dark color.  It's disappointing when it fades.

Esteemed Contributor

Allegheny: We have never used mulch for the very reason you've encountered . . . the fading problem. However, very early this spring we did put black mulch on the South side of the house after dividing the peony bushes. A neighbor has used black mulch for several years in her flower beds and the colors "pop". Now, my flower beds are also stunning with black mulch, peonies, and annuals! Even the coralbells and hostas look much better against the black mulch. 

To my surprise and great joy, the black mulch (from Lowe's) has not faded. We've had much more rain than usual and, of course our 90-100 degree temperatures! Had never shopped Lowe's before, but will return if we need more mulch in 2018. Very pleased with the appearance and durability. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady

Hi,  I was dismayed with the color drain the actual day it was applied.  The men stopped work because of the heavy rain.  One could actually see the dye in the run off water.  So I am thinking the mulch was recently dyed and had not had time to really sit long enough.

My brother purchased black mulch four years ago from a landscaping business and applied it himself.  I am amazed after all time how much color retention he still has..

Last week my husband and I went to Lowes and purchased some tripled shredded dark brown mulch which I am going to apply in two other areas.  So I will have a comparison to see how long it holds its color.

When our landscaper returns next year to redress the areas he mulched I am thinking of asking him to use triple shredded.  The double shred they applied has so many big pieces of wood it is disgusting.  Or may-be I'll be ornery enough to have him take me to his supplier and check out the mulch before he brings it out.

Esteemed Contributor

One of the reasons I had never used mulch (especially dyed) was the fear of what it might do to our water resources. Have been releived that Lowe's mulch has not faded at all. That's why I watched my neighbor's mulch for a few years before adding it to my flowerbeds. I'm not an alarmist, but do try to prevent problems rather than cause them. 

Your post is alarming about the dye leaching into the rainwater so quickly. Please address that issue with the contractor, also. Your post has been enlightening. Thanks.

Money screams; wealth whispers.