Honored Contributor

I have two strawberry hydragena plants.  I need to move one of them, can I do it this fall or do I have to wait until spring?

My thought is to just trim it back then move it this fall.

thanks

Honored Contributor

Trim down & move now. You want it transplanted before the ground freezes.  Be sure to keep watering it until the ground freezes. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

thank you.  I am giving it to a friend.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

thank you.  I am giving it to a friend.

Tell her the same advice. Plant in full sun. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    I want to be your friend!!!  It's very nice of you to be gifting this plant ~ I love hydrangea, but have had no luck at all with them Smiley Sad

I have 7 plants which I purchased maybe 4 years ago ~ they were blooming at the time.  We planted them in the fall and beautiful healthy leaves comes back every year, but not one flower.  They receive plenty of water and appear healthy in every way except no blooms : (  They spend the summer has full, knee-high, green leafed bushes.

Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Moving a plant/bush

[ Edited ]

@Irish1210 ...When I purchased the plants,  (I bought 2). I had no idea how big they would get!  I must have been enticed by the beautiful color, ha, ha.

This year again, (not to brag) the plants are full of blooms, the color seems a bit off, maybe because of the lack of rain this year, I don't know.

I do have a different variety of hydrangea in my back yard...only one bloom this year, so I feel your pain.  I was trying to think if I trimmed it back last year.  This year I trimmed the bush as soon as the one bloom started to brown, we will see if next year I get blooms.

Did you trim your bush at all last year, If the bush is trimmed at the wrong time, you could be cutting off the new bloom.  There are many very informed posters that might be able to give you better advice...also did you fertilize?

Honored Contributor

@Irish1210 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs    I want to be your friend!!!  It's very nice of you to be gifting this plant ~ I love hydrangea, but have had no luck at all with them Smiley Sad

I have 7 plants which I purchased maybe 4 years ago ~ they were blooming at the time.  We planted them in the fall and beautiful healthy leaves comes back every year, but not one flower.  They receive plenty of water and appear healthy in every way except no blooms : (  They spend the summer has full, knee-high, green leafed bushes.

Thoughts?

Several factors to decreased blooms -- what @Mom2Dogs  said, pruning at wrong time of year -- too late in fall. Another factor is the buds freezing in March so there will be diminished blooms come late spring/summer. One way to fix this is spray the plant with Wilt Pruf, an anti-desiccant and wrap the plants with burlap in November. The anti-desiccant has to be applied when the temps are above 40's. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Thanks for your helpful response Heart

I've had years that I didn't cut back and years that I have cut back the plants once the stems have become very brittle and reed-like ~~~~ I have not ever fertilized and that may be the problem.

Fingers crossed that we both have successful blooms next summer : )

Esteemed Contributor

@Irish1210 , I wonder if your hydrangea is Nikko Blue?  They are famous for not blooming.  Is it blue?  LM

Trusted Contributor

Re: Moving a plant/bush

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom Hi LM ~ Thanks for taking an interest!

All of my hydrangeas are either Merritt's Supreme or Firelight Hydranges and were a raspberry color when I purchased.