Esteemed Contributor

Mosaic Bird Feeder. Do Birds Like It?

I know birds have color preferences when it comes to bird feeders. I really like the looks of this mosaic bird feeder, and I'm just wondering if the shiny glass is attractive to birds or if they shy away. Anyone have experience with it or something similar? (M70513) 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mosaic Bird Feeder. Do Birds Like It?

Sorry, I don't have the answer because I was wondering the same thing Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have pet birds and they are attracted to shiny things.  I love anything mosaic I may have to buy this!

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't be concerned with colors nor glass.......when I saw this feeder it 's the size and location of the seed holes that I object to.

Many birds are of good size and to have the feeding ports so low - birds don't 'bend' well.  Also the seed ports are so small seeds can get stuck if wet .....and impossible ( I  think).... to see amount in the container - time to refill....or not.

I wouldn't consider it a good choice - pretty for the human eye.........

Esteemed Contributor

How hot can this get? Wonder if it would hurt the tootsies or pop the corn ? 

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt  We had a color issue with one of our bird feeders. We bought a red one, because we thought it would look cute. The birds ignored it for days and went to the other feeders in our yard. Did some research and found out they don't like the color red. Painted it a preferred color (gray) and the birds started feeding immediately. As for the holes and their placement, I didn't consider that. Have to think about that one... Thanks!

Regular Contributor

@godi wrote:

How hot can this get? Wonder if it would hurt the tootsies or pop the corn ? 

I was thinking the same thing!

Respected Contributor

"They" were saying about the hummingbird feeders offered here that the perch is plastic because metal gets too hot for the feet.  If this pretty feeder is metal, then probably best to place in a shady spot.  It sure is beautiful, even if the birds don't like it, it would look nice hanging in a tree.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Another new name Sue @greenjean1 @godi  I think I agree about the heat on the metal. I was planning on giving this to my friend who lives in a wooded area. She has almost no sun, but she has lots of birds. Frankly, I think mold might be more of a problem for her than heat. Thanks for your thoughts!

New Contributor

I have this feeder. It’s the prettiest in the yard but the least visited by the birds. They do eat there now but it took several weeks and it’s still not as busy as my traditional feeders.