Honored Contributor

About 3 years ago I planted morning glories in a pot and set them in a corner of our deck.  They did not do very well, so at the end of the season I pitched the dirt out in our woods.

About 2 weeks ago a morning glory vine appears climbing  that same corner outside the deck.  It has grown like crazy and has tiny morning glories on it about the size of a nickle.  They are cute.  Some seed must have some how gotten outside the deck and laid dormant until now.

Mother Nature is amazing.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

My neighbor planted morning glory on my chain link fence next to my garage.  I really don't want it there and I can't get rid of it.  Yes, it's pretty, but these people don't do yard work or take care of anything they plant.  It's grown into a big vine.  Now I notice that I have morning glory growing in my driveway and in the cracks of cement everywhere.  I spray it with roundup and it comes back.

Next year you will have plenty of morning glory.

Honored Contributor

Re: Morning Glories

[ Edited ]

My neighbor has ivy and morning glories growing in a big mess on the side of her house.  I am constantly pulling them out and they just keep coming back.  We consider both - ivy and morning glories weeds in this area.  

Respected Contributor

I totally agree with you @Imaoldhippie...last year some of the plants I potted did not do well and I just tossed and covered with dirt. This year one of the hibiscus plants just sprouted up. There are no blooms but I am still hoping!!!Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Are they tiny and sort of pinky-white?

If so, they are a weedy variety that's actually illegal in some areas due to it's tendency to rampantly reproduce and crowd desireable vegetation or of the environment.

If not, enjoy your morning glories! 🌱

Respected Contributor
I planted seeds all along my driveway fencing, and also climbing up a decorative pole. It took off like crazy, both along my fencing and the pole, but never produced flowers. Tons of vines with leaves...no flowers. Ripped the whole mess out...what happened, idk!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  When I was young, my dad paid us 10 cents a pound for morning glory roots that invaded our corn patch. Mind you, they had to be the complete roots. Morning glories were NOT our friends. 

Respected Contributor

Yup, Once they get a foothold you never have to worry about planting Morining glories again.  Especially Grandpa Ott.  If you like dark purple Glories they're Hardy little things.

At Least you don't have to wage the war aginst Angels Trumpets.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge .......they are a light pink/purple

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I like morning glory; they were started years ago at my parents house, on the bank where we dumped ashes from the coal furnace.   They have completely taken over that area, but that’s not a problem.   

Unbeknownst to my husband and I, one of our daughters planted a packet of morning glory seeds near our front steps 2 years ago, not realizing how invasive they are once rooted.   By spring this year we had morning glory roots underneath our sidewalk and blooming on top of our paved driveway, which did not make us happy.    Roundup and a hot, dry summer is helping us get rid of them.