Honored Contributor

Re: More Photos From My Garden Today 6-20-15

@CathyRD

Try the newer cultivars like 'Endless Summer', 'Forever & Ever Together', 'Blushing Bride', 'Bloom Struck' and 'Twist & Shout'  for your garden.

These bloom on the current season's wood unlike your 'Blue Bird' which blooms on last year's wood.

If you prune these new ones in the springtime (say March) you will not have removed flower buds like on 'Blue Bird' which means no flowers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

I have 5 Hydrangeas across the front of our house. They are my favorites and are blooming beautifully right now. I was worried that they might not after the cold, harsh winter we just had. I have 2 Mathilda Gutges, beautiful lavender blue, 1 Glowing Embers, 1 Endless Summer original, I think it was called Forever and Ever, and an older one I have had about 15 years and I can't recall it's name. Wish I could post pics of them. They are so pretty!

Respected Contributor

Beautiful flowers.    I envy manicured flowerbeds.   I have difficulties keeping mine that way so I gave up and most of them run wild.   

My favorite this year.  I have coral colored as well but they're not blooming yet.

poppy

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@debic

I have or should I say had? 'Beauty of Livermere' poppies in a southern exposure and with the rainfall we have had recently, they seem to dislike it. I have the leaves turning yellow from the bottom up and one planted this year has disappeared completely. One did bloom and the other one planted last year did not. I've got clay but well drained soil and I think they dislike too much water. Do you find that where you are?

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@debic

I have or should I say had? 'Beauty of Livermere' poppies in a southern exposure and with the rainfall we have had recently, they seem to dislike it. I have the leaves turning yellow from the bottom up and one planted this year has disappeared completely. One did bloom and the other one planted last year did not. I've got clay but well drained soil and I think they dislike too much water. Do you find that where you are?

I live in a high altitude desert.  Too much water is a foreign concept here.   This and the coral one are all but indestructable, I've had them for years.  Twice I've left for an extented time frame.  My husband killed my grass and these survived.   LOL, he also mowed down my daylilies 160' of them.    I've been trying to reclaim my beds this year, what a mess I have.

~~
Respected Contributor

Older picture of the coral colored.

poppy

poppy

~~
Honored Contributor

Justjazzmom, not only are your flowers beautiful, I don't see a single weed. Very healthy looking, too.
“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I owe it all to pine bark nuggets that keep 90% of the weeds from emerging.

Break through weeds-- clover, tomato seedlings, some wild rose, spotted spurge and sunflower seeds.