Highlighted
Honored Contributor

More Photos From My Garden Today 6-20-15

Today was a lecture on hydrangeas at a large local nursery near me. In honor of that lecture, I went around my own property and took some photos of some of the hydrangeas in bloom or about to bloom.

Hydrangea serrata 'Purple Tiers' (Actual Color)

Hydrangea serrata 'Purple Tiers'.JPG

Hydrangea serrata 'Purple Tiers' (pink color-- must be near brick (root from this stem)

Hydrangea serrata 'Purple Tiers'2.JPG

Hydrangea arborescens 'Bella Anna'

Hydrangea arborescens 'Bella Anna'.JPG

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Wedding Gown'

Hydrangea macropylla 'Wedding Gown'.JPG

Hydrangea "Wedding Gown' Close Up of Flower

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Wedding Gown' flower .JPG

Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird'

Hydrangea serrata 'Blue Bird'.JPG

Hydrangea 'Strawberries & Cream' (about to bloom)

Hydrangea 'Strawberries & Cream'.JPG

Finally some Asiatic lilies that I have blooming (I have 2 sections of these)

'Tiny Nanny' -- white ones

'Tiny Padhye' -- white with purple

Asiatic Lilies 'Tiny Nanny' & 'Tiny Padhye'.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Re: More Photos From My Garden Today 6-20-15

Just beautiful~!  Thank you for sharing with us....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

Every time I have purchased these they havent grown in desired color. I heard minerals like copper in soil is needed;  did I read in your in your post that one type needs to be planted by brick? Please share. Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm in Chicago & mine are no where near ready to bloom, can't wait, they are my favorites

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@springers

Most of LI soil is acidic so the macrophyllas that are there will be naturally blue flowered. If you add lime to the soil (it takes at least a year to travel an inch through the soil) then the flowers will turn pink in color over time. I think that the pink flowered branch on 'Purple Tiers' must have a root near my brick border. Lime can leach from cement walkways, foundations, bricks (paving stones) so that could raise the pH of the soil and make it more basic.

To turn blue flowering hydrangeas to pink-- add lime to the soil.

To turn pink flowering hydrangeas to blue-- add sulfur or aluminum sulfate to the soil

At the lecture I found out its easier to turn pink flowers to blue than blue to pink.

The 'Bella Anna' is a pink flowering kind of 'Annabelle' hydrangea which is a white flowering type.

White hydrangeas cannot change color-- if white, remain white for the most part during blooming.

Super Contributor

Your floweres are lovely.  We are having a late spring/summer in Northern Michigan and I have nothing blooming.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for sharing, they're beautiful.  I like the blue ones; the pink ones not so much.

Respected Contributor

I LOVED all of your flowers.   Thank You for giving us wonderful sights to see.  Now I want some for my yard.  (smile)

Honored Contributor

@onewhiteSparrow

Many have come from mail order companies -- either rose companies or companies that sell certain hydrangeas.

'Strawberries and Cream' came from Home Depot last year.

'Wedding Gown' came from White Flower Farm

'Purple Tiers' came from a place called Wilkerson Mill Gardens or hydrangeas.com

'Blue Bird' came from an Agway

'Bella Anna' came from the local nursery where I attended the lecture (its several years in the ground).

The Asiatic lilies came from Home Depot, about 2 years ago-- I had used them at my MIL's home as part of the 'curb appeal' to the backyard in among the roses I had bought from various local nurseries and a local supermarket of all places! and I bought some for my own landscape.

Its best to google the correct name and see where it can be purchased. Some plants -- the various companies might not ship now as its close to summer and may resume shipping once summer is over- say September/October. You have to visit their website for when they ship items.

Roses are traditionally ordered when the new year begins in January. You can request that you want the plants (any of these plants) shipped when YOU WANT THEM. Most companies are very accommodating that way.

Super Contributor

Oooh, JustJazzMom ... I finally found some small grace in this forum mixup ... your beautiful hydrangeas!!! I love the "lace cap" style, and had Blue Bird and another unkown white one at a NJ shore family house, where the plants LOVE conditions. We no longer go there, and I miss them; they tend to freeze out here in NE PA.  THANKS for the beauty Smiley Happy