Honored Contributor

Monarch Migration starting to peak!

[ Edited ]

Hello All,

We are in eastern NE and we document for the Monarchs and Hummingbirds.

This info is just for those interested...

During the 1st two weeks in August, we had an average of 0-2 in our gardens at max at any given time...

During the last two weeks of August we had an average of 1-3 in our gardens at max at any given time.

The 1st week of September there was a lull...4 days we had absolutely no Monarchs...either due to high temps, storms, cloudy conditions...still odd having none for so many days during this time period.

Starting from Sept 9th we had 3 Monarchs max...

Sept 10th...3 Monarchs max...

Sept 11th...4 Monarchs max

Sept 12th...6 Monarchs max...

TODAY..Sept 13th...on just one section of just 1 of out 4 gardens, starting from 10:30 am when our winds started shifting to being strong out of the south...

Side note: It will be interesting for us here in our area of 'WHEN' the actual peak day will be since it is usually a day when the winds are gentle out of any direction of north...ie...wnw, nw, n, ne, ene...which won't be here again til Thursday!!! From now til then, the winds will be strong out of the south, so I am guessing for us, our peak day won't be til Sept 18th on Friday. Our peak day here is usually anyday between Sept 14th-21st.

Mother nature might fool us here, so we will have our antennaes up and our eyes to the skies! However, I think the Monarchs here in the area have had to stop in their tracks for now and over the next several days.

I thought I would pass on the FYI for those who wish to keep track in their area. We are in the main 'funnel' so to speak, here in NE.

For those that wish to see the Monarch maps, find out when your peak day usually is in your area, and learn/get info, it's HERE

I HIGHLY suggest after finding out your peak date in your area, find some time to sit outside facing north and keep an eye to the sky. You should be able to count the Monarchs as they pass your area...quite fun! It literally is an all day event!!! Smiley Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: Monarch Migration starting to peak!

Absolutely fascinating !! One of Mother Nature's beautiful mysteries. Thanks for the info  and the link Susan Louise!

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise, thanks for sharing the information.  I am in Nova Scotia.  This year we have seen significantly less monarchs than in previous years.  I planted a couple of milkweed plants to help them reproduce.  A lot of our local nurseries have them but I don't think they advertise them enough.  Lots of bees around but not so much for the butterflies. Hope that changes soon!  LM

Honored Contributor

I thought I'd share a few pics from today...

This 1st pic shows 4 Monarchs and under the one on the far left, you will see a hummingbird...

P1890362.JPG

In this pic you will see a couple of Monarchs with a hummingbird...

P1890285.JPG

There are 9 Monarchs in this last pic! Keep in mind, these plants in the pic is only one small section in just one of 4 gardens we have Smiley Very Happy

P1890789.JPG

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't forget to face northerly look to the skies over the next several days! Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

A few years ago a HUGE cloud of these beauties went right by my front window...it was truly one of the prettiest sights I've ever seen! It lasted about 3-4 minutes and I just stood there speechless (really something for me). One of mother nature's loveliest sights!