Super Contributor

Re: Miracle Gro - What Went Wrong?

what brand did u use?

Respected Contributor

The PROBLEM is the Miracle Grow soil. I had the very same problem this year! I had some MG potting soil left over from last year that I used to pot some new small hydrangeas & coral bells this year. They have ALL STRUGGLED (to put it mildly).

This year, I bought 15 bags of organic soil to use in my raised veggie beds. Every single thing I planted looks spectacular. So, I replanted all my struggling plants with the new soil & organic ammendments. ALL of the plants took off growing within a week. When I transplanted my small hydrangeas, I was stunned at how tiny the root balls were. These have been planted for 3 months, & should be sizeable by now.

Ditch the MG soil....not sure what they did to it, but it's horrible at this point.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 goldenretriever said:

The PROBLEM is the Miracle Grow soil. I had the very same problem this year! I had some MG potting soil left over from last year that I used to pot some new small hydrangeas & coral bells this year. They have ALL STRUGGLED (to put it mildly).

This year, I bought 15 bags of organic soil to use in my raised veggie beds. Every single thing I planted looks spectacular. So, I replanted all my struggling plants with the new soil & organic amendments. ALL of the plants took off growing within a week. When I transplanted my small hydrangeas, I was stunned at how tiny the root balls were. These have been planted for 3 months, & should be sizeable by now.

Ditch the MG soil....not sure what they did to it, but it's horrible at this point.

I want to mention why using organic fertilizers are better than synthetic fertilizers like Miracle Gro or Mir-Acid.

With Miracle Gro or Mir-Acid you are only feeding the plants. The microbes that break down organic fertilizers are not being fed. If the microbes die, then your plants become chemical junkies on that synthetic stuff.

Organic fertilizers feed the microbes in the soil which in turn break down the fertilizers to feed your plants.

Also sometimes it benefits new plantings of trees and shrubs to add an amendment that contains mycorrhizae (a symbiotic fungi) that helps develop a plant's root system faster.

From wikipedia:

Mycorrhizae form a mutualistic relationship with the roots of most plant species.

This mutualistic association provides the fungus with relatively constant and direct access to carbohydrates, such as glucose and sucrose. The carbohydrates are translocated from their source (usually leaves) to root tissue and on to the plant's fungal partners. In return, the plant gains the benefits of the mycellium's higher absorptive capacity for water and mineral nutrients due to the comparatively large surface area of mycelium: root ratio, thus improving the plant's mineral absorption capabilities.

Plant roots alone may be incapable of taking up phosphate ions that are demineralized in soils with a basic pH. The mycellium of the mycorrhizal fungus can, however, access these phosphorus sources, and make them available to the plants they colonize.Thus many plants are able to obtain phosphate, without using soil as a source

Mycorrhizal plants are often more resistant to diseases, such as those caused by microbial soil-borne pathogens.

Plants grown in sterile soils and growth media often perform poorly without the addition of spores or hyphae of mycorrhizal fungi to colonise the plant roots and aid in the uptake of soil mineral nutrients. The absence of mycorrhizal fungi can also slow plant growth in early succession or on degraded landscapes

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I will definitely go organic. Thanks for the recs.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 pommom said:

These are not blooming plants. They're all green. My pots were individually transferred from a dish garden to new clay pots. I used Miracle Gro potting soil.

Did you use the potting soil containing fertilizer? If you did, then fertilized them, you may have over fertilized since they got a double dose.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Does anyone here grow Hydrangeas ? I have about 7 & none are blooming yet . I haven't fertilized them yet , but they always bloomed on their own . Anyone else having problems ? Late July I'd think they should have buds by now ....none . Maybe due to bee population ? Have seen a few bees , but not as many as other years . Ideas ? Thnx .
Honored Contributor

On 7/21/2014 blueskies said: Does anyone here grow Hydrangeas ? I have about 7 & none are blooming yet . I haven't fertilized them yet , but they always bloomed on their own . Anyone else having problems ? Late July I'd think they should have buds by now ....none . Maybe due to bee population ? Have seen a few bees , but not as many as other years . Ideas ? Thnx .

Really it depends on where you live. This past winter in the Northeast was a doozy for hydrangeas-- many had a lot of dead stems and many lost their buds due to the prolonged cold weather in late winter by us.One hydrangea that didn't get affected by the cold was the Smooth or Hydrangea arborescens.

Two ways to lose flowers: The number one reason is pruning hydrangeas that bloom on old wood in the fall. The 2nd reason is bud freeze.

Hydrangeas that bloom on the current season's wood like Hydrangea paniculata or Hydrangea arborescens are not affected by bud freeze.

Best time to prune hydrangeas? Right after they flower but before the fall starts in September (in our area of the USA-- LI)

Bud formation is set by temperature light conditions. Insects are needed for pollination and in this case not needed for bud formation.

Something I found from Chicago Botanic Garden which is a great list of some of the more popular hydrangeas and their characteristics plus some important general hydrangea information.

Hydrangeas

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

JustJazzMom , thanks . I have 5 Endless Summer , which bloom on old & new wood . I didn't prune them at all & I didn't remove the old wood . The other 2 are Lacecaps and small ( won't grow past 3-4 feet tall or wide ) . Those rarely bloomed in past years too . We are In New England , so the freezing cold last winter was probably the reason like you said . I just thought they'd bloom on the new wood . The new shoots are tall , healthy. & very leafy .......just no buds or blooms . Oh well , nature has its own plans , so maybe next year ! ! For now I'll try a little fertilizer anyway & see what happens . Thanks again !
Super Contributor

PomMom , good luck with your plant issue . It's tough to lose plants and not know why . Looks like you received good advice from other posters here . Hope you don't mind I asked a question of my own on your thread .
Trusted Contributor

I live in Virginia and my hydrangea didn't flower this year either. I talked to a garden expert and he said it was because of the very cold winter we had here as well. I trimmed all of the old wood off that didn't have any growth in the Spring. The plant is doing great now but still no blooms. He said that the blooms should be back next year.