Respected Contributor

I have a croton.  The largest leaf has a tiny split when I foolishly bent it while wiping it clean.  I thought it was going to wither and drop off, but oddly enough, it has continued to grow.

Because of the size of the leaf, it is putting weight on the top half.  Is there any way I can go underneath the leaf with something to keep it from folding over?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

I hate to say it, but I don't think there is anything you can do other than just pulling the leaf off the plant.  I know how it hurts to accidentally break a leaf like that...........Woman Sad

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Thanks, 2blonde.  I suspected as much.  Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

If you love that plant, and want to go to the trouble, take the damaged leaf and make tiny slits across the main vein on the underside.   Place the leaf, slit side down onto thoroughly dampened soil/vermiculite/sand and then pin the outer edges of the leaf down (you can use opened hair pins) onto the prepared soil mixture.  Cover with tented plastic wrap (don't let the wrap touch the leaf surface) and place in a low light area.  Make sure to check every few days to assure that the mixture remains damp.

In a few weeks you'll see root development and, eventually, each of the slits will produce tiny plantlets which will start a whole new plant from that one leaf.

Respected Contributor
Wow! This is great info. Thanks so much. Yes, my plants are my babies.
Regular Contributor

You're welcome, PomMom!

There's plenty of info on the web; but if you'd like it "at your fingertips," so to speak, then hunt down a copy of Tempting Tropicals by Ellen Zachos --- or try pretty much anything by Tovah Martin.

Happy Growing!

Respected Contributor

Just now checked my post.  Thanks for your book recs - I will be ordering them today.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I you cut off that leaf you will get new leaf growth blow it.