Honored Contributor

I was at Menards this weekend and noticed the garden section was laid out differently than in past summers....I asked a sales associate about it and she said you can no longer check out in the garden center, what!!  All items, mulch, flowers, etc need to be taken inside to be purchased.

I told her I would not be shopping Menards this summer for ANY garden needs as I am not hauling stuff thru the store.

We were in the store to purchase a container to hold our garden hose, we took it inside, there were only 3 cashiers open and all were very full of customers....I told the cashier this summer was going to be a nightmare and I bet they lose business due to the new store policy.

Honored Contributor

@qvc modertors...OPPS I should have posted this in garden, can you move it for me....I am not sure how to do it, thanks!

Honored Contributor

We don't have Menards but if Home Depot or Lowes did that, I'd say forget-it too.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs. You can report your post inappropriate and in the comments, ask the mods to move it.

I usually go to home depot for heavy outdoor garden items.  Menards probably eliminated the register in the garden section to cut back on employees.  The flowers in the garden center here look sad, so I don't look anymore.

Honored Contributor

It's hard enough hauling some of those bags, without going back in the store, I like Lowes because their staff is very helpful.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I was at Menards this weekend and noticed the garden section was laid out differently than in past summers....I asked a sales associate about it and she said you can no longer check out in the garden center, what!!  All items, mulch, flowers, etc need to be taken inside to be purchased.

I told her I would not be shopping Menards this summer for ANY garden needs as I am not hauling stuff thru the store.

We were in the store to purchase a container to hold our garden hose, we took it inside, there were only 3 cashiers open and all were very full of customers....I told the cashier this summer was going to be a nightmare and I bet they lose business due to the new store policy.

@Mom2Dogs

I was at Menards garden center last week and was able to check out through the garden area. I wonder if the manager there is short of employees or has another reason for not offering excellent customer service?

Respected Contributor

I picked up a couple of pots of snapdragons at my local Menards over the weekend and was able to check out in the garden center. If I'd had to go inside and stand in line, I probably would've left without them. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I specifically asked the associate...and also noticed the open doors have been closed with actual walls.

The associate said all new Menards will be handling the garden center this way (our Menards is not new but have made the change)....I guess there was a lot of theft and the cashier could not watch the register as well as the shoplifters.....again, a few ruin it for the majority.

I think they should have come up with a better solution.......

Honored Contributor

@GCR18, thanks for the 'how to'....

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

Must be too much theft, that's all I can think of.

You have so many people coming in and out of those doors, I'm sure pallets of ground and mulch just walk out of there let alone tools, that's a big one.

Cars pulls up, someone comes out with a pallet with tools hidden inbetween the bags, just too much stealing.  I would just bet someone at the desk will confirm your theory if you ask if the problem was stealing.