Respected Contributor

Thanks for those links @JustJazzmom .  Sorry for the delay in responding; I just now saw it.  I've actually spoken to Tom Carruth mentioned in the second article.  I know I need to spray Capt. Jack or Conserve just before a heat wave (which stimulates the thrips).  I've never done it as I dislike spraying, but maybe this year.  I have about 25 bushes in the ground, so it is a bit of a chore. The roses look good the early part of the summer, but they really suffer when we get the worst of the heat in late summer.  I'm not sure insect control works or the blue stick traps.  What do you think or do?  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@Another new name Sue  I haven't seen thrips on mine. Are your roses looking poorly because of fungal disease or insect damage? 

I would probably folliw the advice from the plant natural link. I have never seen blue plant traps. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

I am in Southern California, zone 9, and need to replace a rose.  I usually purchase from Jackson & Perkins but don't see what I want on their website.  I am hoping to find a smaller floribunda rose with pink blossoms.  Does anyone have experience with other rose growers who ship?

@Wobin   Edmund's Roses, very good customer service and roses.

Honored Contributor

It's not mail order but I just picked up a Mr. Lincoln at my local Walmart for under $8. Mr. Lincoln is my favorite hybrid tea rose. It's just gorgeous. It's a very nice bare root rose. Four good solid stems, some nice early budding, it looks very good. It's going into a big pot that I've used for a brugmansia the last few years. I didn't take cuttings of the brugmansia last fall so the pot is sitting there empty and this is a good way to fill it. I'm not sure what I'll do with it come the fall, but for the spring and summer months, it'll be in the pot. I may move it to the garden someplace in the fall rather than let it die in the pot over the winter, or I may test it out and see if it'll survive all winter in the pot. I'm not optimistic about that though.

I still don't trust my leg enough to do serious digging and create a rose garden again, so the pot makes a nice option. It's there. It's plenty big enough for a rose. It's easy to water and tend to where it is. So, why not? 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

It's not mail order but I just picked up a Mr. Lincoln at my local Walmart for under $8. Mr. Lincoln is my favorite hybrid tea rose. It's just gorgeous. It's a very nice bare root rose. Four good solid stems, some nice early budding, it looks very good. It's going into a big pot that I've used for a brugmansia the last few years. . .

I still don't trust my leg enough to do serious digging and create a rose garden again, so the pot makes a nice option. It's there. It's plenty big enough for a rose. It's easy to water and tend to where it is. So, why not? 

Thanks for the tip about Walmart, I would never have thought to look there.  

Last week I discovered a rose farm about a 30 minute drive from my home.  How did I not know about this place?  I thought I knew every nursery within a 1-hour drive.  They had many lovely roses but my favorites won't be ready for a couple of weeks so I'll be going back there to choose one.  They also had a couple of sweet cats and the large one would not let me leave the grounds until I stopped to pet him.

@gardenman   I have 6 Disneyland roses in a raised bed that I can tend to pretty easily although I do miss having a rose garden as I did at our previous home.  Then there are 4 roses along the driveway in the front and one of them is what I'm replacing.  I planted 3 mini roses in a large pot in the front yard and will see how they do. It's so hard to keep myself from adding more roses!

Honored Contributor

@Wobin 

About thirty years ago I had a huge rose garden lining my whole backyard. It was gorgeous. I phased it out though as my older neighbor was convinced the rose spray would kill her. Bear in mind she seldom even left her house, but it just became more hassle dealing with her than it was worth. I went to more perennials that didn't need spraying and it calmed things down a lot. She has now moved to her daughter's house so I could do roses again on a bigger scale, but the leg gets a bit cranky and I just don't trust it yet to do the digging required. I can plop a rose or two in some of my bigger pots though, so that works out well.

Mr. Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial are often viewed as two of the top red roses. I've grown them both, but I like Mr. Lincoln the best of the two. This was a bare root rose when I bought it and it's putting out good growth now that it's been potted up. I may try leaving it in the pot come winter, but I'll decide on that this fall. Mr. Lincoln is just a great hybrid tea rose. It's fragrant, beautiful flowers, and grows well here. It makes me happy and that's what truly counts.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I prefer disease resistant roses & my favorite reds are Amadeus which is a climber & Grande Amore which is a fragrant hybrid tea. 

I don't have time to spray roses with fungicides. I like my no spray rose garden.

Amadeus

44117073-FD5A-4583-AE44-4233B997C54B.jpeg

Grande Amore

43C5D6CD-DC38-47E4-AA32-5361EEEA0938.jpeg

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Fungus shouldn't be a huge issue with my new rose. It's in a breezy spot with nothing around it. Lots of good air circulation. It'll get watered at soil level. It shouldn't be a huge issue unless we have an exceptionally rainy spring/summer. And with just one rose, spraying it, if needed, is less of an issue. It's a small trade-off for a beautiful rose. Insects could be more of an issue but my planter boxes nearby tend to house a few praying mantises each summer and if bugs hit the rose I'll transfer a mantis over to enjoy a bug snack on the rose bush. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I've been searching for a red climbing rose... so many are already sold out online.  Springhill Nurseries has  some good selections and you can buy them via Lowes or Home Depot and the shipping to your house or to the store is free.

Valued Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Mr. Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial are often viewed as two of the top red roses. I've grown them both, but I like Mr. Lincoln the best of the two. This was a bare root rose when I bought it and it's putting out good growth now that it's been potted up. I may try leaving it in the pot come winter, but I'll decide on that this fall. Mr. Lincoln is just a great hybrid tea rose. It's fragrant, beautiful flowers, and grows well here. It makes me happy and that's what truly counts.

Amen--that's what counts.  My favorite red rose is Veterans Honor which I planted in honor of my dad.  It produces large velvety roses which last a long time.