Honored Contributor

Re: MY VEGE GARDEN IN POTS AND MY BUMPER CROP

@SHOPR wrote:

Thanks again, @mousiegirl.  I bookmarked the seed packets. 

I think we grew pimento (supposedly the same as cherry--I didn't realize that) once but it was probably the mild type. 

I know very little about the different cheeses--was raised on cheddar and american :-( ---but wanted to try the parmesan block even though it seemed hard.  Now I know why!  I had no idea.  I can mix it with some mozzarella that I have.  That may work.  :-) 

@SHOPR  Yes, that would be yummy. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@mousiegirl No, they start with white spots all over the leaf and then holes start to develop and eventually everything goes brown. I'm lucky if I get one eggplant per plant.

Sounds like a fungal disease called powdery mildew. How wet was your spring/summer?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl

Thanks for the information - hopefully I'll still be inspired in the spring!  

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Everything is done producing, now just waiting and hopingDSCF5034.JPGDSCF5063.JPGDSCF5112.JPGDSCF5197.JPGDSCF5199.JPGDSCF5201.JPGDSCF5084.JPGDSCF5087.JPGDSCF5088.JPGDSCF5092.JPGDSCF5095 - Copy.JPGDSCF5096.JPGDSCF5097.JPGDSCF5098.JPGDSCF5215 - Copy.JPG that the peppers will turn red as there is no longer blazing sun.  These are some, forgot to take pictures of the huge rainbow tomatoes and red/black tomatoes, pictures of what I grew, potatoes, eggplant, I did grow beans, zucchini, tomatillos, and cucumbers, but forgot to take pictures, basil, many varieties of chile peppers, yellow bells, many varieties of tomatoes, and figs.  I also grow blackberries, boysenberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and lettuce.   @possummink @Bird mama @lucymo @luvsbulldogs @Puddles @Winifred  @SHOPR @Spurt@Annabellethecat66 @Danky@Pooky1  @fluffysmom

@fluffysmom

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl I have a friend near me who has a garden.  It's about 1/8th acre.  I wish I could post you pictures of the vegetables he gets out of his garden.

When I was looking at your pictures I found myself thinking about all you could do with a little land.

You go girl.  

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl   Holy Cow. You should have a gardening show and write a book.I am so impressed not only with your crop but the attention to detail and the obvious care you take with your plants. Neatly planted, supported with mesh bags,creativity, variety, not a weed in sight. Is this a full time job? I am really blown away . That's a masterpiece. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Honored Contributor

@fluffysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl   Holy Cow. You should have a gardening show and write a book.I am so impressed not only with your crop but the attention to detail and the obvious care you take with your plants. Neatly planted, supported with mesh bags,creativity, variety, not a weed in sight. Is this a full time job? I am really blown away . That's a masterpiece. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

@fluffysmom  Thank you. Smiley Happy  Once the seedlings are planted, I grow from seed, all I have to do is water and fertilize.

I processed the basil and got 37 containers for the freezer, for soups, sauces, pesto, etc., so hopefully it will last until next season.

There are critters that steal the tomatoes and only them, so we had to enclose all of them with netting.  If I had more room, we could build a fenced in area and close the top with chicken wire, with a door for entering and leaving, always dreaming. Smiley Happy

I did the same thing with all of the chili peppers, sliced and froze in freezer bags. 

Weeding the entire garden is an almost neverending job.  I pulled a groin muscle this year and have been suffering ever since, and I now wonder what will happen in Spring when there are millions more weeds.  I should hire someone to do that, but aside from the injury, I actually like it, but the older I get, it becomes more difficult all of the bending and pulling.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl When's dinner?Smiley LOL

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Wow!  Love it!  When you put netting around the tomatoes how do you get into thEm to tend them.  Just unwrap?  I need to do that for my tomatillos!!  Birds love to nibbles the leaves for some reason, that and cucumbers.  They eat the whole leaf in a few days.  The finches do that

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@mousiegirl

Wow!  Love it!  When you put netting around the tomatoes how do you get into thEm to tend them.  Just unwrap?  I need to do that for my tomatillos!!  Birds love to nibbles the leaves for some reason, that and cucumbers.  They eat the whole leaf in a few days.  The finches do that

@shoekitty  Nothing bothered the tomatillos or cucumbers, but the tomatillos didn't do as I expected them to do, none got big, most stayed yellow so maybe they didn't like the huge pots they were in so I will grow them differently next year. Any tips? I had planned to make tons of salsa verde for the freezer but only got a little.

Re the netting, what a pain, lol, I had to lift the netting and crouch in, hair getting tangled, but I managed, this was after seeing a lot of tomatoes on a plant one evening, should have picked them then, and in the morning they were gone!  I told DH when he got home from work to change and meet me in the garden, lol, he wasn't happy, but he loves the home grown tomatoes.