Honored Contributor

Re: MY VEGE GARDEN IN POTS AND MY BUMPER CROP

[ Edited ]

@possummink wrote:

The Olde Weeping Cedar: ~•~Welcoming Autumn~•~

Hi Danky,   It's good to hear from an old friend.   I post almost everyday on the Cafe thread,  the Bird Nest and Widows threads. + the Positive thoughts thread.   

I don't do as much gardening as I did years back when my back was in fairly good shape.  I usually had about 135-150 tomato plants, several varieties, plus eggplant, okra, stringbeans, field peas, all summer squashes,  sweet corn, cauliflower, spinach,  beets, asparagus, radishes, peppers, sweet and hot,  parsley, basil, potatoes, horseradish, rhubarb, cucumbers,etc.   and several kinds of berries.  I still have black raspberries and raise habaneros and jalapenos.   I also have my 25 or so banana plants, which I need to start digging to bring in the basement for the winter.   

We had a little produce stand out by the road and my children and mom sold the excess tomatoes and other veggies.   Good old days. Cat Very Happy

My younger brother has an awesome garden too, at his home right across the Mississippi in IL.   He raises a lot of what I listed above, plus crowder peas, lima beans,  sweet potatoes, and a few other veggies that I don't or didn't. 

I spend too much of the summer in Florida at my son's to do much gardening.   I already have Patty Pan squash seeds for next spring though.  It's my favorite squash and I can never find the white ones anywhere in stores or in farmer's markets.   I love sweet basil leaves put right on top of pizza slices 

When working outside in the gardens be they flower or vegetable, I feel so at peace.  It's great therapy,  good time for thinking and just enjoying  nature and God's creation.    I just wish I could do like I used to.  Containers aren't quite the same as running the tractor through the dirt and laying out the garden plan.  

Have an awesome rest of your week and take good care. Heart

@possummink  WOW, amazing re tomatoes.  If I had youth, could plant in the ground, and had room, my vege garden would be in the ground and huge also.  I do plan to plant Winter veges soon, brussels sprouts, spinach, cool lettuces, kale.  I should have gotten them in sooner, but from what I know now, this winter will be mild, so I still make have a crop. Smiley Happy

I would love to can tomatoes, but can't grow enough, so just freeze the excess to make sauces later.  Fried green tomatoes are on the menu if what is left doesn't turn red.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl thank you sharing the wonderful pictures of your garden.  Awesome!  What a mental and spiritual therapy.  Good for the soul and good for your health reaping the nourishment of the garden veggies.

Like you, I love all gardening from veggies to flowers.

I also have done gardening with children, from preschool to grade school.  Kids are so different because some want to dig in in get dirty and others are do not want to get any dirt on them at all. 

This was an odd concept to me until I realized the parents told them not to get dirty. 

Different it was from making mud pies and playing in the rain that I thought everyone did.

So glad you enjoy gardening.  It is a good therapy and passion that is producing bountiful produce and a beautiful garden.

Honored Contributor

@lulutoby wrote:

@mousiegirl thank you sharing the wonderful pictures of your garden.  Awesome!  What a mental and spiritual therapy.  Good for the soul and good for your health reaping the nourishment of the garden veggies.

Like you, I love all gardening from veggies to flowers.

I also have done gardening with children, from preschool to grade school.  Kids are so different because some want to dig in in get dirty and others are do not want to get any dirt on them at all. 

This was an odd concept to me until I realized the parents told them not to get dirty. 

Different it was from making mud pies and playing in the rain that I thought everyone did.

So glad you enjoy gardening.  It is a good therapy and passion that is producing bountiful produce and a beautiful garden.

@lulutoby  Wonderful that you taught children to be in the garden.  DD was always in the garden, and one day, about two years old or younger, all of a sudden I noticed that she had put a green plastic plant pot on each foot, making shoes out of them,. LOL!  She used to get pots and put potting soil in, and just toodle around. Smiley Happy  I am hoping that when she has her own home, she will learn to love gardening.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl  OMG,  those all look great.  I'll show the pics to DH tonight, he loves peppers.  I'll take the Yukons, I'm a meat and potatoes person.

How many pots do you think you have for flowers and veggies?  I love the outdoors too and watching plants grow.  I sure enjoyed looking at the pictures. Thanks for tagging me as otherwise I might miss out seeing them.

@lucymo  66 pots for tomatoes, eggplant, bush beans, zucchini, tomatillos, peppers, and basil,  in addition to two very large, wide and tall boxes which DH built.  Strawberries, potatoes, bush beans and zucchini are grown in wide large growing bags,  the other veges either grown in grow bags, clay pots, or enormous black nursery pots..  Pole beans and cucumbers are grown on bean poles.

All perennials are grown in the ground.  I do grow six pots of Cottage Farms white sunpatients on the deck, two gardenia trees, and several pots of begonias, white with pink blush and yellow centers.  Of course, I still have tons waiting to be put into the ground as we are still working on three beds.

We finished planting the roses in the cottage garden, now for the Irises, daylilies, phlox, and a few more perennials.  Also finished the driveway bed with white roses and white agapanthus, this I divided from clumps in the back all grown from one plant and divided over an over, still have plenty in pots to plant elsewhere, and along the front walk white/green paniculata hydrangeas with the long cone shaped flowers, and an edging of tiny white flowered ground cover, which will be planted when they are strong and big enough, as I just separated them from large clumps growing in the back garden, and potted them, so they are sitting on the front walk bed growing.  I noticed that squirrels got into some while looking for a place to hide their nuts, so covered them yesterday with wire.  My driveway theme is white and green, in case you didn't notice, lol.

I grew the white roses, agapanthus, as i mentioned, and hydrangeas in pots for several years so that by the time we planted, they were mature enough to make a statement.  When I bought the hydrangeas and roses, I had every intention of getting them in the ground within one year, didn't happen, so they grew and grew. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl  I would love your place with all of the gardens and plants.  I don't have as many as I used to have but still love to do what I can. It's a great hard work stress reliever and the results are beautiful and some are delicious too.  We ate so much fried Okra this summer with fresh tomatoes and corn bread.  Love it.

You need to share a picture of your front walk .  It sounds so pretty.

Do you have to water all the pots individually or use a type of spray system?  Our pots dry so fast in summer and especially after they are root bound in the pots. 

@lucymo  Yes, I hand water the pots, and use sprinklers in the beds.  I like okra, as my Dad was a chef and from the South, so he would put it in tomato stews. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl  Nothing better than a water hose in hand in warm weather but that's a lot to water.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl  OMG,  those all look great.  I'll show the pics to DH tonight, he loves peppers.  I'll take the Yukons, I'm a meat and potatoes person.

How many pots do you think you have for flowers and veggies?  I love the outdoors too and watching plants grow.  I sure enjoyed looking at the pictures. Thanks for tagging me as otherwise I might miss out seeing them.

@lucymo  66 pots for tomatoes, eggplant, bush beans, zucchini, tomatillos, peppers, and basil,  in addition to two very large, wide and tall boxes which DH built.  Strawberries, potatoes, bush beans and zucchini are grown in wide large growing bags,  the other veges either grown in grow bags, clay pots, or enormous black nursery pots..  Pole beans and cucumbers are grown on bean poles.

All perennials are grown in the ground.  I do grow six pots of Cottage Farms white sunpatients on the deck, two gardenia trees, and several pots of begonias, white with pink blush and yellow centers.  Of course, I still have tons waiting to be put into the ground as we are still working on three beds.

We finished planting the roses in the cottage garden, now for the Irises, daylilies, phlox, and a few more perennials.  Also finished the driveway bed with white roses and white agapanthus, this I divided from clumps in the back all grown from one plant and divided over an over, still have plenty in pots to plant elsewhere, and along the front walk white/green paniculata hydrangeas with the long cone shaped flowers, and an edging of tiny white flowered ground cover, which will be planted when they are strong and big enough, as I just separated them from large clumps growing in the back garden, and potted them, so they are sitting on the front walk bed growing.  I noticed that squirrels got into some while looking for a place to hide their nuts, so covered them yesterday with wire.  My driveway theme is white and green, in case you didn't notice, lol.

I grew the white roses, agapanthus, as i mentioned, and hydrangeas in pots for several years so that by the time we planted, they were mature enough to make a statement.  When I bought the hydrangeas and roses, I had every intention of getting them in the ground within one year, didn't happen, so they grew and grew. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl  I would love your place with all of the gardens and plants.  I don't have as many as I used to have but still love to do what I can. It's a great hard work stress reliever and the results are beautiful and some are delicious too.  We ate so much fried Okra this summer with fresh tomatoes and corn bread.  Love it.

Do you have to water all the pots individually or use a type of spray system?  Our pots dry so fast in summer and especially after they are root bound in the pots. 

@lucymo  Yes, I hand water the pots, and use sprinklers in the beds.  I like okra, as my Dad was a chef and from the South, so he would put it in tomato stews. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl  Nothing better than a water hose in hand in warm weather but that's a lot to water.

@lucymo  Yes, and I despise hoses, always getting kinked, always in a picture where I don't want it, and always a way for me to trip and go flying into oblivion, lol, or just falling down has happened several times.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.Smiley Happy

“A little Consideration, a little Thought for Others, makes all the difference.” Winnie-the-Pooh
Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl

Wow, thank you for posting such beautiful pics. of your garden and veggies!  They are all gorgeous!  Enjoy them all!!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@lucymo  Yes, and I despise hoses, always getting kinked, always in a picture where I don't want it, and always a way for me to trip and go flying into oblivion, lol, or just falling down has happened several times.

@mousiegirl  We bought the hose that retract and they don't seem to kink as bad but you can still trip over them.  They are easier for me to handle than the heavier hose though.

Respected Contributor

wow mousiegirl your garden looks awesome.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, Your vegetable crop and variety is amazing!  I am so impressed, and I am also feeling tired after just reading about how many plants you tend at any given time.  Woman Embarassed 

Your figs look delicious.  Mine are not as dark as your darkest ones, and are long gone now.  Perhaps they are a different variety.  These fig trees are several decades old so I have no idea.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I enjoyed snacking on mine this year.  

This year was a poor year for our garden, which is gone except for jalapenos and poblanos.  This was our first year trying poblanos, and we aren't fond of their taste.  

I am missing the fresh cucumbers and tomatoes already, though.  I love them in green salads.  

I enjoyed seeing your pics.  Everything looks so healthy and delicious.