Honored Contributor

Re: MY VEGE GARDEN IN POTS AND MY BUMPER CROP

@mousiegirl

All my tomatillos were small, really small.  But I had loads.  I used them all.  Some were no ligger than a cherry tomato!  I made a few quarts od salsa verde.  I did clip the vines a bit at the y.  Worked.  Its okay for them to be yellow.  Usually yellow ones are when they are left on too long past green state.

i peeled them cut them in half and put them on a tray with pieces of anaheim pepper, a few jalapenos, onion, pablano peppers and lots of garlic.  I tossed them all in a little olive oi l, sprinkled a little cumin seed, salt, pepper and roasted until edges were brown.  Then I blended with a bunch of cilantro in processor.  Omg, so good.  I cut chunks of bomeless chicken thigh, floured a bit, browned in oil, then placed with verde in crock pot with a bit of broth.  Heaven.

Honored Contributor

I have learned since tomatillos can get stunted during heat spells when flowering  like tomatoes.  They do like their water.  We had a hot spell at a critical point i their growth,  it was 107,  i was on vacation or I would have moved them out of the blazing sun.  My grandson watered, but they just didnt grow a lot after that.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

@mousiegirl

All my tomatillos were small, really small.  But I had loads.  I used them all.  Some were no ligger than a cherry tomato!  I made a few quarts od salsa verde.  I did clip the vines a bit at the y.  Worked.  Its okay for them to be yellow.  Usually yellow ones are when they are left on too long past green state.

i peeled them cut them in half and put them on a tray with pieces of anaheim pepper, a few jalapenos, onion, pablano peppers and lots of garlic.  I tossed them all in a little olive oi l, sprinkled a little cumin seed, salt, pepper and roasted until edges were brown.  Then I blended with a bunch of cilantro in processor.  Omg, so good.  I cut chunks of bomeless chicken thigh, floured a bit, browned in oil, then placed with verde in crock pot with a bit of broth.  Heaven.

@shoekitty  Thanks you for the tip.  I did use some yellow, but was annoyed at the color, lol, and the size. When I buy them, I am able to get big green tomatillos.  I use the same ingredients except I use jalapeno peppers and no cumin though I love cumin, and simmer in a pot.  When they are softened, I puree and add raw jalapeno, raw garlic, and cilantro, process, add salt, and lime juice, this makes it for me, without the lime juice, it is bland, but that probably wouldn't be the case if I roasted, lots of flavor in roasting. I will try the roasted, loved most anything roasted.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl

That sure is some garden that you have!   Thanks for the great photos!

I sure do miss having a garden especially after seeing your beautiful one.