Honored Contributor

DSCF4036.JPGDSCF4096.JPGDSCF4097.JPGDSCF4099.JPG

Valued Contributor

So pretty! I love sweetpeas and mine have been blooming for about 3 weeks now.

Honored Contributor

@chloe66 wrote:

So pretty! I love sweetpeas and mine have been blooming for about 3 weeks now.

@chloe66  Mine are done for the year.  In August, I will plant seeds for next year's crop. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

They are beautiful!  You've inspired me to try to plant some of my own.  Thanks for sharing @mousiegirl!  😊

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

They are beautiful!  You've inspired me to try to plant some of my own.  Thanks for sharing @mousiegirl!  😊

@wildcat fan  A tip.  Soak and nick the seeds as they have a very hard shell.  They like a rich soil so I put chicken manure and compost from my box in the area a month or so before I plant to let it mellow.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl, I had no idea sweetpeas could be so beautiful.  Do they need to climb something?  Do they bear edible peas/shoots?   Just stunning!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, I had no idea sweetpeas could be so beautiful.  Do they need to climb something?  Do they bear edible peas/shoots?   Just stunning!  LM

@Lilysmom  The type I plant do need to climb.  There are bush sweetpeas also, but the stems aren't as long for cutting as I like.  No edible part of the plant.  They have a marvelous scent.  My Mother grew them so I grew up with them and love them.  There are so many colors and mixes to choose from.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@wildcat fan wrote:

@wildcat fan  A tip.  Soak and nick the seeds as they have a very hard shell.  They like a rich soil so I put chicken manure and compost from my box in the area a month or so before I plant to let it mellow.

Thanks for the tip @mousiegirl!  I will definitely look for some seeds and see how it goes.  I love fresh cut flowers!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Beautiful sweetpeas.  My mother always grew them behind the garage on a trellis.  There were always little vases of them in the bathrooms.  I have always loved them.  Since I moved from SoCal to the PNW I have not been successful with sweetpeas.  I don't think it gets hot enough here in the summer although I do find them to buy at Pike Place Market but I think they are probably grown in Eastern Washington.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@mousiegirl

Beautiful sweetpeas.  My mother always grew them behind the garage on a trellis.  There were always little vases of them in the bathrooms.  I have always loved them.  Since I moved from SoCal to the PNW I have not been successful with sweetpeas.  I don't think it gets hot enough here in the summer although I do find them to buy at Pike Place Market but I think they are probably grown in Eastern Washington.  

@DiAnne  Actually, sweetpeas prefer cool weather.  As soon as it gets hot, they go to seed.  Here, we are to plant in August for a crop in spring of the following year, as they need a long time to sprout.