Respected Contributor

Re: MY BLUEBIRDS ARE BACK😃

@FastDogWalker2 ...try a small open feeder with a few mealworms, without seeds.  I have a plastic cup drilled into my fence...i put a few mealworms at a time.  I found proving mealworms year round, seems to attract the bluebirds.   I also have 3 houses, they nested in one last summer,  and now I think they're feeling at home here.  Just keep putting out the worms...try some berries too.

Hope you get to enjoy them!

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin - thank you for the great advice - it will be my mission!  Do bluebirds "winter" over?  We are in SE VA.

Trusted Contributor

I've seen  3 to 4 bluebirds over the last two weeks. They come around every fall/ winter. I get cardinals and others here and there. I live in front of woods. Today there were about ten or so birds of different varieties plus the bluebirds. It was 75 degrees or so this afternoon and they were all chirping and flitting around. Made my heart sing. Like Spring today.

There are some small red berries out now and I noticed a lot of activity around those bushes.

I also have a family of robins that return every spring. My backyard is moss, holly, pine and birch trees with a small area of grass. Plenty of food for them all.

Yesterday I saw a squirrel and a bluebird foraging in the same space....no drama, they both split in different directions.

Trusted Contributor

@Dazlin   ok, sounds good!  I will check back with you!  

Respected Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

@Dazlin- thank you for the great advice - it will be my mission!  Do bluebirds "winter" over?  We are in SE VA.

I believe they'll stay over winter if you provide food.  They say put up a cedar nest house made for bluebirds by February.  That'll give them time to check it out for spring/summer nesting, and they sometimes they return to roost in it for the winter.   This is what im seeing in the pic i posted.  I put that box up last spring,  they had 2 or 3 babies in it, and now are back with the family.  I noticed they ate the mealworms in the cup on the fence post...you can see it in the pic if you blow it up.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  They are so cute. I hope you don’t mind but I blew up the photo.

861439FE-6788-43A1-8C35-CE80644D2CF9.jpeg