Respected Contributor

MORE BLUEBIRD BABIESšŸ¦, and LOTS OF HUMMINGBIRDS

I'm on my 3rd bluebird hatch.  Looks like all 5 eggs hatched.  I'll know better after they fledge.  I peeked in, and it's packed with babies šŸ˜ƒ.   I got to see the last hatch fledge.  The parents were up on an electric line, and the babies were peeking out the opening. 

As for the hummingbirds, all 3 feeders are active.  Seeing some Ruby red throats too. 

Anything going on in your side of town??

Respected Contributor

Re: MORE BLUEBIRD BABIESšŸ¦, and LOTS OF HUMMINGBIRDS

It sounds like you have lots of excitement there. Here in New Mexico our mystery shrub whose flowers attracted hummingbirds did not survive the drought. We had two ruby throated hummers that came to it every year. They will be disappointed this year.

I haven't found the wild horses. After the holiday, we will drive to some of their favorite spots. They may have gone back up to the lake because everything is so dry here.

Those of you with water and greenery, please keep sharing. It gives us hope.

Respected Contributor

We have geese and goslings. Adorable.

How wonderful for you to see the hatchlings!

Honored Contributor

@On It   I heard on the news that the wild horses were missing.  I hope they didn't get trapped in the fire.  Usually they're wiley enough to get away.

New Mexicoā˜€ļøLand Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  My first nest of bluebird babies of the season fledged on May 3rd.  The babies are at the bird bath and mealworm feeder every day.  I love seeing them.

There are two eggs in my nest box now.  I imagine mom will lay five eggs and then start incubating. 

I've got two hummingbird feeders up and love seeing the hummers, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 They are very docile, and the herd moves slowly through town. I hope they fled away from the fire. I have photos. The next time my son comes to visit, I'll see if he can post them.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ...sounds great!!   Yes, I believe she'll lay 5 eggs...then start incubating.   I saw mine incubate after a week of laying 5 eggs.  I got concerned why she would wait.   Goes to say, nature has its perfect time, and season.    

Btw...how are you feeling??

Respected Contributor

@On It ...can you plant more shrubs??  I'm seeing the hummingbirds return to the same spot for food source. 

We planted some bushes too, the hummingbirds love them.  I noticed a hummer on my hibiscus bush too.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin Outdoor watering is prohibited. This was an established plant placed by the previous owners so that all the runoff from the roof would nourish it.  We are experiencing an historic drought that has engulfed most if not all of the state of New Mexico. Any new plantings would be lost as well, but thank you for caring and suggesting a solution. The desert Southwest is in deep trouble from climate change. The Rio Grande River will likely go dry this summer.

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin @How great is that to see the nest.  Our hummers are back.  They a,ways do a zoom past when I am working in the garden.  Simo,e things make me so happy!  LM