Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

On one of our trips to Florida, my son bought a little lime plant. It was like a twig in a box.

My husband said the instructions said that it wouldn't produce fruit for 5 years. So for 5 + years it grew to a nice size. About 2 1/2 + feet tall and 3 + wide. It does not look like a tree, more like a bush.

It was kept in the house for more than 5 years. Then about 2 years ago, I put it outside for the summer. The plant really took off and more than doubled in size. Still no limes. Then last summer, We put it outside again. At the end of the summer we had over 50 little limes.

We made 4 key lime pies. The limes from our plant tasted so much better than the limes we bought at the store. But they were small, so it was alot more work to cook with them.

Right now it has many flowers that are just going to die and fall off. It isn't until the weather gets warmer that we are going to put the plant outside. And then the bugs can get to the plant, so we can get limes.

I can't wait.

@drizzellla  I made a Key Lime pie once.....once and never again.  Trying to squeeze the juice out of those tiny limes.  They were probably not even true FL Key Limes either.  Apparently, a variety of Mexian limes are sold as Key Limes in the States.  I'd love to try and grow one though.  

@Icegoddess, I ONCE made a key lime pie too. I swear, I probably got 1/2 teaspoon of juice out of each key lime, if I was lucky.

Later, I saw that a lot of people use bottled key lime juice when making that pie, but thus far,  have never been able to bring myself to make one again. 🙃 

E5D55D5C-428C-4682-8B74-63765F645C01.jpeg

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

In order to get lemons you need to pollinate the flowers.  Since there are no bees in your home to do this, you should do it yourself.

If you do not pollinate the flowers,they will drop and bear no fruit.  You can pollinate with a Qtip or small paintbrush.

Basic 101 for fruit bearing trees.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

On one of our trips to Florida, my son bought a little lime plant. It was like a twig in a box.

My husband said the instructions said that it wouldn't produce fruit for 5 years. So for 5 + years it grew to a nice size. About 2 1/2 + feet tall and 3 + wide. It does not look like a tree, more like a bush.

It was kept in the house for more than 5 years. Then about 2 years ago, I put it outside for the summer. The plant really took off and more than doubled in size. Still no limes. Then last summer, We put it outside again. At the end of the summer we had over 50 little limes.

We made 4 key lime pies. The limes from our plant tasted so much better than the limes we bought at the store. But they were small, so it was alot more work to cook with them.

Right now it has many flowers that are just going to die and fall off. It isn't until the weather gets warmer that we are going to put the plant outside. And then the bugs can get to the plant, so we can get limes.

I can't wait.

@drizzellla  I made a Key Lime pie once.....once and never again.  Trying to squeeze the juice out of those tiny limes.  They were probably not even true FL Key Limes either.  Apparently, a variety of Mexian limes are sold as Key Limes in the States.  I'd love to try and grow one though.  

It took 3 of us several hours to make them. BUT my son was going to a diner at a friend's house. And he was told to bring a dessert. So we had to finish it. Good thing there were 3 of us working on it.