Frequent Contributor

M82259 Phillip Watson Blueberries

I received my plant April 2nd and needless to say since I live in MI it wasn't suppose to be delivered til end of May.  We had snow and rain on Saturday

and the same is predicted for this Saturday.  So, what am I suppose to do with this plant for the next two months?.  Do I  return or what happens?

They came from Cottage Farms delivery so I don't know if they wanted them shipped out earlier or what.

Respected Contributor

Re: M82259 Phillip Watson Blueberries

[ Edited ]

@Salreg Plant it in a pot indoors, then transfer it. I'm not an expert gardener, and maybe others here have more advice, but I'd think that would be ok.  I would also contact PW or CF customercare for advice.

I bought a CF blueberry plant many years ago, about 12...never had luck with it. But that's me...you may do excellent with it.

I live in CT...had it in a pot outdoors for a few years, on my deck, since I'm second floor condo, no yard. Said they should get berries by 2nd year, (in the pot) but none ever came, then to transfer to ground. I don't think my pot was large enough, they always advise a "whiskey barrel", too big for my deck, so I had it in a 15" across, 15" deep pot. It grew and leafed, but never got a ripened berry, only a few green ones.

When it was time to replant in the ground, I planted it at my mom's, where it grew more, and got some berries, but the rabbits always ate them before they had a chance to ripen. My mom, not a gardener and not that mobile then, couldn't care for it where I had to put it for sun, so there was that too.

Was not the right plant for my situation. And of course I was "sold" because they showed it in a pot with tons of berries, which I was expecting to happen, but didn't for me.

I wish you luck with yours! 🫐🫐🫐

Honored Contributor

I would plant it  and put it in your garage until you can plant it outside, just remember to water it and it does need some light. I have the opposite problem--I live in WA state so my zone is 7 or 8 and can plant in March----but the lily bulbs I ordered in Feb still haven't arrived. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

I agree.

And for @Salreg , know that if you return a 'plant' to Cottage Farms, you will get a replacement during your NEXT planting season (next year), that's been my experience with returning dead root stalks to them, which never materialized the following year.

I would try to keep it alive as she suggested.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does Phillip work for Cottage Farms or do they just fulfill his orders?  I hope they're not sabotaging him.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Although you can try to plant, likely you won't have the best luck.  I believe garden items have a 90 day warranty so definitely call Customer Service for a refund.

In Michigan we have so many wonderful nurseries with large blueberry plants which we can buy.

Honored Contributor

There must have been a reason why the plant was shipped so early.  I'd call the company and ask.  Perhaps it should be planted outside while still dormant?  I'd find out before sending it back.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Salreg  As long as your blueberry bush isn't close to flowering, I would think you could plant it out now. You should check with your local extension service (likely connected to your state university) to verify.

Honored Contributor

Spoiler

@Salreg    Google "when to plant blueberries" and you'll find lots of information on when and how to plant them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

1. I got two blueberry bushes last year at Lowes. I even got a few berries last year.  They have already come back this year.  I just planted another variety to cross pollinate.