Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lovely color in the garden today

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Ms Lily - I believe it's the 10th photo down, same one with the red fleurs in the center and a pink hydrangea on the right side.  Maybe it's a sedum that's not in bloom yet that I see, resembles Joe Pie weed.

I also forgot to mention the lavendar-like thistle that's in bloom.  Had this in my garden too, hubby loves these as well.

As I read more posts, I see that you're in Nova Scotia - WOW, I'm jealous!  Do you have 4 seasons there?  I know nothing about NS sorry to say.  What are your seasons like if I may ask?

I counted down again - it's the 11th photo I'm referring to.

@PINKdogWOOD, I see it now. The flower you thought was Joe  Pye is a Spirea.  The flowers in the middle are in a concrete planter and are the annual wave petunia and the hydrangea is to the right.

The Thistle like flower is called Sea Holly.  It's very pretty isn't it?

I am in Zone 5.  We do have four seasons here.  Our weather is much like Maine.  Snowy cold winters.  Our summers are lovely.  Usually not too hot ... High 80‘s is hot for us.  A few days in the 90's.  Nova Scotia is translated as New Scotland.  Our population is approx one million (just below).  Our license plate identifies us as Canada's ocean playground.  Most of our population lives at or near the coastline.  

We are one of three Maritime Provinces (the others being Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick).   I live very close to our capital city, about 400-450,000 people.

Halifax is beautiful with much green space and on the coast.  There are 11 degree granting academic institutions, it is a government service center and there is also a significant private sector.  My history lesson for the day!

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

'Hostages' snicker....Woman LOL

I knew what you meant Lilysmom.

@JustJazzmom Hahaha!  Gotta love that auto correct!  If I don't go back and proofread, there are usually some good ones.😩!  LM

Honored Contributor

Great history lesson Ms. Lily!  Thanks much - I can tell you're a proud Nova Scotian and it sounds lovely.  Actually, other than most of you with the opportunity to live on the water, your seasons are much like mine.  Your summer weather sounds grand ddespite a couple of 90s days. 

And as for the spirea, yes I see it now.  Funny - we have one too!  Love the color of the petunias too.  

Honored Contributor

@LilysmomNot only does Russian Sage grow well here...it's over-used.  Everyone  has a Russian Sage stuck in the middle of his xeriscaped front yard.  They multiply and are invasive.  The salvias also do well here but my summertime favorite is crepe myrtle.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@LilysmomNot only does Russian Sage grow well here...it's over-used.  Everyone  has a Russian Sage stuck in the middle of his xeriscaped front yard.  They multiply and are invasive.  The salvias also do well here but my summertime favorite is crepe myrtle.

@Kachina624 I am going to look for crepe myrtle next time I go south.  Everyone seems to love them.  LM

Honored Contributor

Crepe myrtle looks great in Southern climates-- multi trunked tree with exfoliating bark as it matures.

One caveat: it is not hardy to Hardiness zones 6 and under. It will get in certain areas of LI (Hardiness zone 7) branch tip dieback.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, I was aware from previous posts that it wasn't hardy to me zone (5).  I don't know if I have ever seen one in real life.  I hope I get to as it seems like a popular one.

@Kachina624, I was thinking about your comments about Russian sage and thinking hostas here are as common as Russian sage in your neck of the woods.  Nobody buys hostas here, they just get a piece from a neighbor.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

I mentioned it in case some people were considering it for more Northern climates.

Yes, they are all over the south started to see them when I was in MD (Maryland). Some have white flowers, some have pink and some have watermelon red flowers. They are a summer blooming multi trunked tree/shrub depending on the variety purchased.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Well now that you are done, come on down to my place. I could use the help especially digging up all this horrid centipede grass to make beds. I want to put in raised beds behind the house so I don't have to cut up to it and be able to plant easier.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
Well now that you are done, come on down to my place. I could use the help especially digging up all this horrid centipede grass to make beds. I want to put in raised beds behind the house so I don't have to cut up to it and be able to plant easier.

Tigris, if you garden, you know you are never done lol!!!  I like the idea of raised beds.  Then you don't have all that hard digging in the clay and rock which abound in our area.  I could never dig without help from DH.  We are having a break for a few days with much needed rain.  LM