Esteemed Contributor

Love garden clearance sales!

[ Edited ]

I rarely buy anything at full price that includes plants for my garden.

This year I bought a weeping pine for $25 (75% off)  I watched that plant at Lowe's since the begining of the season.  I bought yellow coreopsis at 50% to add to my hostas in the front of my house..

Last year I bought a Austrian pine at 75% off, the year before I bought a blue spruce topiary for $7.50.  I also bought holly bushes at 50% off.

Can you tell I just love evergreens?

I lost a few coreoposis from last year's sale, but otherwise sucess!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Love garden clearance sales!

Just this week I read that right now is the best time of the year for planting.  The pproblem is that it's hard to find things to plant.  Sounds like you're lucked into some real bargains.  Now you have to do some digging.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I love clearance sales but haven't had good luck this late in the season (in PA) - the plants don't make it through the winter, probably because their roots weren't sufficiently established.  I water them plenty, but don't mulch.  If I mulched they'd be better protected and might survive.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624@ValuSkr   I have not lost a tree/shrub yet.  I tend to lose the more delicate plants. I do not mulch either.

I found out something interesting today from a lady working at Home Depot.  I mentioned to her that Lowe's is already at 75% off while hardly any of HD is at 50%.  She said Lowe's owns their plants and can mark them down whenever. HD's plants are owned by their vendors.  The vendors decide when and how much they will be marked down not Home Depot.

I have my eye on a spiral cut pine at HD it's $149 now.  I will wait to 75% or do without.

Honored Contributor

Interesting about Lowes and Home Depot owning / not owning their plants and how that affects markdowns.  Also, the plants I've lost after planting this late in the year have all been perennials (coreopsis and mums come to mind).  I haven't done shrubs and trees in a number of years.

Esteemed Contributor

Good deal, @Mary Bailey!  This is an ideal time to plant.  Top growth ceases but root growth commences 'til the ground hits about 45 degrees - which, in many areas, happens much later, and by that time roots have been growing (the plant doesn't have to funnel energy into leaves, so it goes to the all important root system).  Sounds like you know to water, too, if we have a dry spell and the ground is set to freeze.

We just planted two lovely "Green Mountain" boxwood, and also an 'Acoma' crape myrtle.  I am optimistic that they will do well and be a delight come Spring.  I love evergreens, as well.  I plan on putting some Chinese hollies (Burford) in very soon.  Or some American holly, if I can get my hands on some decent small ones. My favorite by far, though, is Deodar cedar.  Oh, and love junipers. Find a nice one with berries and they smell so good (and are the flavoring for gin).

There is a trend towards these powerhouse retailers taking plants on "consignment".  The grower then has a rep in the store to oversee QC.  Plants are a risky business and I guess this helps spread some of that around. 

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey, I love to shop the Fall bargains also.  There are many plants in my gardens that I have paid just a few dollars for.  Love that!

I am now at the stage where my gardens are mature.  The shrubs and evergreens are awesome and large so I am now sharing perennials that have been overtaken with my friends and neighbors.  That was the original plan ten years ago when I started on this property.  No idea where the time went!

Happy bargain hunting and Fall planting.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  Your plants are lovely!  I never heard of some of them. LOL  I had to look them up.  I wish I had the room or in the zone for them.  I'm zone 5. 

@Lilysmom  I have a lot of mature plants as well.  I have given away mostly day lilies.  The lilacs & a Colorado blue spruce are at least 44 years old.  I split the hosta but use them in other beds.   

I just cannot resist the deals especially on unique plants. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @Mary Bailey.  You would do better with the spruces in zone 5 than in my garden.  We're in a 6b/7 (but it changes) and sometimes it just gets too darned hot for those.  Though I do have a 30 year old bird's nest spruce that is gorgeous.  Really all that is native here are the Eastern red cedar (juniperus virginiana) and the scrub pine (pinus virginiana).  If the developers don't tear them all down, we have oak, maple, hickory, walnut, elm, ash, viburnum, tupelo, sweetgum - and I've even seen some river birch planted by Nature.

Happy gardening.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia, I would love to see some of your older trees and shrubs.  I would easily lose count if I tried to count the nesting spruce on my property. I just love them and they do so well here.  I love the evergreens.  Canadian Hemlock is one of my favorites.  I could go on and on😄!  LM