Honored Contributor

Looking forward to seeing Hummingbirds again!

We only get a few passerbys during the Spring migration...and none during the summer since they don't nest in our area. We should start seeing them migrate starting next week or the week after. The earliest we have ever had a hummer for the Fall migration it was a Rufous Hummingbird (a RARE visitor on the eastern side of NE) two years ago on 7/17/2013.

We just put our feeders back out again last week. We usually start seeing the Ruby-throated about the 1st week of August...so can't wait for the fun to begin here!

Here's a pic of that special visitor...the Rufous Hummingbird Smiley Happy

P1000015 (2).jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking forward to seeing Hummingbirds again!

Susan, how close were you when you took that picture?  It's an outstandng shot.  I presume you use a telephoto lens or zoom?

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Susan, how close were you when you took that picture?  It's an outstandng shot.  I presume you use a telephoto lens or zoom?

I was about 5-7' away. The pic was taken when I was on our patio in a chair, and the Rufous hummingbird was on the other side of our patio cement square enjoying one of our cuphea plants in a pot.

I use a camera about 4 yrs old now...a Lumix FZ150  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I just started feeding them this year and I see quite a few coming around my feeders and flowers. My favorites are the little guy with the red throat and the green one with the white ring around his neck.......

Respected Contributor

I love the hummingbirds too and just before our big forum board change someone posted pics of this pretty red garden fountain (from Kmart). Well I HAD to get one and the hummers LOVE IT!!!! I even caught DH yesterday sitting there watching one of the little guys taking a cool bath! They both looked so cute! (lol)  Anyway I highly recommend this fountain if you want to bring lots more hummers into your yard/garden/deck for viewing. I have a feeder very close to the fountain so they have full service! There are some cute videos of this fountain and hummers playing in it on youtube. Search Kmart red garden fountain and enjoy!  

Essential Garden Red Glazed Pot Fountain