Honored Contributor

I have a question ,perhaps you can help me ,i have a lilac bush ,it is 6 yrs old, some of the roots are above ground,  is this normal?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lilysmom....

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest , do you think the frost heaved it?  Are they suckers or roots?  

It is not good for the roots to be above ground especially if you have a real winter.  A freeze/thaw cycle on exposed roots is very hard on a shrub and, in some cases, will kill it.

If there are just a few roots away from the base of the tree, I would gently  loosen the soil and reposition the roots below ground level,add compost and mulch and water.

Here is a link that might help.  Good luck and let us know if the roots are exposed and/or if you move it.  What I read is that well established lilacs don’t like to be moved.  HTH.  LM

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/lilac/transplanting-lilacs.htm

Honored Contributor

I can not transplant it,  i wonder if i get some gravel,and cover the roots, the downsprout is in that area,that rain runs down.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lilysmom....

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest , Maybe @JustJazzmom has some advice.

i just looked up exposed roots and found this.  It says to heavily mulch the area.  If rain or the downspout is eroding soil, it might be a good idea to contain the mulch with rocks or some other border.  LM

https://www.jltreeservice.com/2013/08/what-to-do-about-exposed-tree-roots/

Honored Contributor

Having transplanted a big lilac before, let me assure you that the roots you see are a very, very small percentage of the total rootmass of the plant. A layer of mulch would help cosmetically, but in terms of the plant, it should be fine even with nothing added. If soil erosion is definitely the issue, you'll want to divert the water away, but the plant will likely survive fine with the upper roots a bit exposed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Covering the roots with mulch will help. Eroding the soil due to rain spout water could be a problem. You may need to extend the spout or use a splashboard to wick the water away from the plant.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest , you can either extend the spout pipe away from the lilac or use concrete forms (14-16” long by about 6-8” wide and available at any hardware store that has an outdoor section) designed for the purpose of diverting water.  Good luck!  I find lilacs to be a hardy shrub.  Wishing you success!  LM