Honored Contributor

Lilacs are my favorite. Here is WA state , they start blooming in Feb-early March. I have 3 colors from my MIL, the dark purple, white and the light purple. I dug up the suckers around her bushes, years ago,  and stuck them in the ground at my house. They grew great but this year, we had 24" of heavy snow the whole month of Feb---such a rare thing for us----and it broke the lilacs where they were on the ground. Had to cut them off. However, got baby stems already growing with leaves, so in a few years will have them back. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

That is beautiful.

Honored Contributor

I love lilac's, they smell so good!  My younger neighbor has one...she does not take care of it at all...it needs a good trimming., and it would bloom better.....I am so tempted to 'work' on it but won't, ha!!

Your gardens are beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

I love our lilacs.  We have been in this house since 1984. 

I'm going to be calling College Landscapers, our house was built in 1964. Lilacs are that old.  I need the lilacs cut down 1 ft below the 6 foot fence line.  Last year they told me they could be cut down to 2 foot talll.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lilac Fever

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom   Here is a link where I bought many Lilacs.  https://www.forestfarm.com/

Honored Contributor

I am in Northern California and I grow over twenty varieties of Lilacs, no problem.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  They are beautiful.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I loved looking at them. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Probably the best time to prune your Miss Kim is right after it flowers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lilac Fever

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs , yes, I usually trim the common lilacs just after blooming.  I hardly touch Miss Kim as they naturally have a lovely shape.

@JustJazzmom , I read in the local newspaper over the weekend that trimming lilacs does not produce more blooms.  Is that true of the common Lilac?  I trim it every year.  It is large and very bushy.  I have to get the stepladder to trim it or use something to pull the branches down.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl , I don’t know why but I thought you were in the Carolinas.  LM