Trusted Contributor

Help gardeners. I was at the farmer's market yesterday and purchased a lemon verbena seedling to round out a six pack of herbs. It smelled so good! And I thought of lemon verbena tea right from my garden.

Now I've done a little research and see it can get huge. 

Any tips on how I can keep this under control? Is it a plant that seeds everywhere? If so I may not even plant it - TIA!

Super Contributor

Just FYI, for a plant that sends out roots that create new plants,(that you don't want).  Plant the invasive plant in a large pot you bury in the garden.  So you would bury in the ground a larger pot, like a 10 or 12 inch pot.  then inside that pot, plant the invasive plant. Now the roots can't go farther then the 10/12 inch pot.  You'll still have to watch it, cause they can be sneaky, they can adapt.  

Valued Contributor

@PilatesLover    I thought I would never get rid of it in my herb garden. It spreads like crazy after sending out runners. I ended up destroying my herb bed.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lemon Verbena

[ Edited ]

I plant invasive plants in a hanging planter shaped like a broad, shallow bowl. 

Everything stays under control.

Trusted Contributor

@fluffysmom wrote:

@PilatesLover    I thought I would never get rid of it in my herb garden. It spreads like crazy after sending out runners. I ended up destroying my herb bed.

@fluffysmom Oh my!!!!! Thank  you for the warning.

I think I will just put it in a large pot and enjoy it for this season. 

Thank you for your input, everyone.