Respected Contributor

Last fall I inquired about Popcorn Cassia

Ours is in the corner (in full sun) next to the fence and is now 6+' tall and about 15' wide.  The leaves keep growing taller and taller but no sign of buds.  Any chance we'll see them before the frost kills the plant?  For us, a killing frost is usually mid to late October.

Honored Contributor

Re: Last fall I inquired about Popcorn Cassia

I don't know the answer to your question, but it's an interesting plant.  I saw one last month at the garden store among the marked-down annuals.  There was a sign on it, encouraging folks to touch it because it smelled like popcorn.  And it really did!  I'd forgotten the plant's name, so thank you for mentioning it.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr

Oh how I wish I could buy a plant in bloom.  When I inquired at our local shops, no one knew what I was talking about or they didn't get the plant in.  I planted mine from seeds I ordered online from a Florida grower.

Esteemed Contributor

Just guessing here - is it winter hardy in your zone?

If so, since you started it from seed, it may not be ready to flower yet.  Perhaps in subsequent years.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Just guessing here - is it winter hardy in your zone?

If so, since you started it from seed, it may not be ready to flower yet.  Perhaps in subsequent years.

@Sweetbay magnolia

No, unfortunately I do not believe it will survive our winter.

Next time I guess I should start the seeds inside much earlier.  It was June before I found a place where I could buy seeds.

Esteemed Contributor

You might be able to overwinter it in a large pot.  Not this one, since it's in ground, but later.  (of course it would require some intensive culture, since it gets big)

I grow an avocado tree in VA, in a pot.  Outdoors in summer, in, winter.  In fact, I just brought it in as it's gotten pretty tall and has started to blow over in the wind.  I figure it can adapt to reduced light levels indoors, before the days get really short.

I'll probably root prune it and transplant it next spring.  Happy gardening!

Cogito ergo sum