Frequent Contributor

I planted Lantana bushes for the first time this spring. They bloomed initially, but haven't in months. They are in full sun and get watered by irritation system every morning for 20 minutes. 

I live in south Louisiana, very hot and humid climate. These are supposed to do great here, and I see them in neighboring yards and around town.

I searched what I could do and read that it's good to trim them to encourage blooms. I've done that but still no blooms. 

The bushes are green and look healthy, so I'm glad for that but I miss the continuous blooming I was hoping for.

At the same nursery and time as I bought these, I also bought several for pots. These are  also watered daily with a hose and they have bloomed constantly.

Do you have any tips or suggestions on what I can do for my bloomless Lantana?

Esteemed Contributor

@Happy In the South wrote:

I planted Lantana bushes for the first time this spring. They bloomed initially, but haven't in months. They are in full sun and get watered by irritation system every morning for 20 minutes. 

I live in south Louisiana, very hot and humid climate. These are supposed to do great here, and I see them in neighboring yards and around town.

I searched what I could do and read that it's good to trim them to encourage blooms. I've done that but still no blooms. 

The bushes are green and look healthy, so I'm glad for that but I miss the continuous blooming I was hoping for.

At the same nursery and time as I bought these, I also bought several for pots. These are  also watered daily with a hose and they have bloomed constantly.

Have you tried feeding them?? I use Miraclegro...it works for me...! I have some lantana and they've been blooming for many weeks. I didn't trim them back this year either~ HTH~Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Trusted Contributor

@Happy In the South  Could it be that you are over watering?

I live in TX, lantanas are planted in ground, full sun, and I only water mine once a week if we don't get rain.  I don't give them a lot of TLC and they are doing good.

Honored Contributor

I'd guess too much water.  Lantana likes hot, sunny, dry conditions.  I once saw a nice specimen growing up through a crack in the asphalt of a Kroger parking lot.  They thrive on neglect

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I've never grown lantana but it has bloomed in southern Calif. everywhere, often in neglected situations.  Based on the replies here, I would feed it, water it in, then reduce watering.

If you wish to join in a gardening forum, go to gardenweb.  Lots of helpful forums there.

Honored Contributor

Here lantana is an annual by us in the Northeast & these cultivars have a grapefruit scent.  They bloom all summer long until you see the green turning to black berries.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

They like it hot,and dry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'd guess too much water.  Lantana likes hot, sunny, dry conditions.  I once saw a nice specimen growing up through a crack in the asphalt of a Kroger parking lot.  They thrive on neglect

@Kachina624   I cut one of mine down to the ground with a SAW last winter, and it came back BIGGER THAN EVER !!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Happy In the South wrote:

TOO MUCH WATER. Here’s the lantana growing guide from LSU.http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonlyres/0BC6DBB2-9DEA-46A3-AA4F-C53F40D3563E/2929/pub2663lantana4.pd...

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624   I cut one of mine down to the ground with a SAW last winter, and it came back BIGGER THAN EVER !!!!!

@Desertdi    Lantana is a weed in Texas.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment