Contributor

I moved into a new construction home and I have not landscaped my backyard yet. My neighbors put grass next to the fence that we share. They water the grass quite often and I end up with large amounts of water in my yard. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I should have in the area by the fence when I landscape. Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

i know nothing about landscaping....but my first thought was crushed stone...to help with drainage.....

Contributor

Dig out an area and put stones in. River, small large or a mix. Then edge it with something so the stones stay in place.  Example bricks or Belgium block. If your spot is low raise it even with their lawn. I have stones where my hoses are because of pooling of water. Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

Google "plants that grow in wet areas zone ?" Google has made amazing improvements to their search function.  You can ask anything. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Landscaping Ideas

[ Edited ]

@Tink814 wrote:

I moved into a new construction home and I have not landscaped my backyard yet. My neighbors put grass next to the fence that we share. They water the grass quite often and I end up with large amounts of water in my yard. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what I should have in the area by the fence when I landscape. Thanks in advance.

@Tink814 

Consult your local Master Gardener chapter.  Every city has one and if you do not, consult your local County Horticulture/Agriculture society sponsored by a university in your state and your federal and local governments.  Putting gravel in an area that you might later want to landscape yourself is only going to create another problem for you.  Take advantage of their water while you don't have to use your own for your yard.  

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like neighbor is over doing with the water...........especially new seeds.  To germinate grass does need 'misting'.....2 or 3 times per day....not buckets.

Drowning it with too much water & love.

Can you raise your lawn level up - like higher than theirs - and use sand over top dirt.  Sand  best for water to run through and not turn to cement.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like the neighbor is either overwatering or you have clay soil or both problems.

Your County Extension service might have info sheets on plants that tolerate wet soils. Keep in mind sun vs. shade requirements.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know where you live but if you live in the desert southwest almost everyone has rocks at least in the front yard. We have rocks back and front but our neighbors have a patch of grass for their dogs surrounded by rocks. We don't do grass very much out here.

Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate that you are thinking ahead, but things may change once the turf is established and your neighbors water less frequently.

Summer has a way of drying things out, too.  Watch, wait, and see.  Things that like moist soils are abundant, but having lived in a new construction zone myself, you may benefit from living with the situation a while before making major commitments.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor

Thank you for all of your responses. Smiley Happy It will probably be a while before I landscape. I'm just gathering ideas right now. Thanks again!