Honored Contributor

I have read conflicting advice about weed barrier...

1. is to use weed barrier (cloth)  and put mulch over the barrier.

2. is to use no weed barrier, the mulch will break down in to the soil...which is good for the soil (but I fear more weeds).

3. Is there a right or wrong or is it just preference?

If if matters we have mostly clay soil in the yard.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I have clay soil where I am. I prefer a 2-3" layer of mulch that gradually breaks down into the soil over time. Landscape fabric is great under hardscape or pebbles but over time, weed seeds do manage to germinate.

If you use landscape fabric in your landscape, cutting holes into it could cause some soil to get on top of it, when you add new plantings and thus cause some weeds to form.

I like mulch the best as it keeps moisture in (less watering in hot weather), keeps weed seeds for the most part from germinating, keeps soil temperatures even and prevents plants from heaving out of the ground during freeze/thaw cycles.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Thanks...this is what I thought, so next project I will not use the fabric and just mulch really well.

The clay soil is such a bugger to work in........

The mulch I currently have is breaking down and is making a mess on top of the weed barrier..I should tear up the barrier and let the mulch break down......

I really enjoy working in the yard but there are some times I would just like to look at it and not be in it working!  It is a never ending job.