Trusted Contributor

Re: LOOKING FOR SAFE WEEK KILLER THAT WORKS

On 6/27/2014 mousiegirl said:

I hate weeds, but it is excellent exercise to pull them. I mulch, but they get through anyway.

Excellent for me -as I usually see a snake. I then , move really well!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Snakes are very plentiful here , this year!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

POISON IVY: be very careful not to spray it directly whether or not the wind is blowing. You can hit the oily coating and it will jump back onto you. This happened to me and I did not know that I had the oil on my tunic bottom. I ended up with the rash abdominally after using the bathroom. It is very tricky stuff. Also, once DH got all the leaves pushed into a pile using the tractor. He then mowed over the pile: the dust particles were coated with the ivy oil. His eyes swelled up to such an extent I took him to the emergency room.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Just this week I found a weed killer recipe I have used in the past; dissolve 1 cup salt into 1 gallon of white vinegar. This recipe works so well, you do not want to use it in an area where you have plants you like, or in an area where you intend to plant in the future. It is the perfect weedkiller for use around sidewalks or driveways.

Honored Contributor

On 6/27/2014 twocent said:
On 6/27/2014 mousiegirl said:

I hate weeds, but it is excellent exercise to pull them. I mulch, but they get through anyway.

Excellent for me -as I usually see a snake. I then , move really well!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Snakes are very plentiful here , this year!{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Lol, I move fast too when I see one, rarely, thank goodness, but I know they are out there somewhere.

Trusted Contributor

Darn it already! I had some good suggestions for Week Killers. Alas, they might get you (a) Arrested. (b) Fired (c) Beaten Up by the hot guys angry Wife/Girlfriend! Weeds, I don't know much about weeds. Although, certain types are now, Legal in my State of Washington. Depending on how much you enjoyed the legal Weeds, they might also be a Week killer!l
Respected Contributor

I wonder if the Dawn and vinegar are harmful to plants in the area of the weeds. Salt, of course, should not be used around plants.

I've had good luck with straight vinegar, hot water, and salt water this summer. The weeds are in cracks in the street and gutter area, so I don't worry about nearby plants. I did notice, however, that some of the weeds were not affected by the vinegar, so maybe I should add a shot of Dawn for them. The street in front of our house looks so nice now without all the weeds popping up. I was so happy I went across the street and did the weeds in front of the neighbor's.